Thursday, January 3, 2013

Transition: Anticipatory Worry

I remember reading somewhere -- I'm not exactly sure where -- a brief reference to the stress one might encounter when they transition off the Optifast products back onto real food. It wasn't a detailed explanation, and perhaps that's why I am starting to feel a little anxious right now. One would think after months and months of a primarily liquid diet, I'd be skipping for joy that I'm very close to goal and a regular diet is just around the corner. But oh no, that is definitely not the case. I'm scared as hell.

Now clearly, the fear of gaining all my weight back in six months or less is making me quite uncomfortable. (Is that even possible? Probably not, but I worry nonetheless.) And I know that when I get into "future thinking" and leave the serenity that comes with living in the "now," I get into trouble. Up goes the anxiety and this concept of fear I refer to. This I need to watch, and really concentrate on how I am feeling physically and emotionally today. Today I am now 9 lbs. to goal (weighed in at 159 lbs. yesterday). Today I am at peace, actually like myself and my body, and I have numerous family members and friends loving me, supporting me, and praising me for what I have done. And today I know more about weight maintenance than I ever have before, thanks to the clinic, research I have done/am doing, and the things my Optifast friends are sharing with me. I'm not flying blind here. Knowledge is indeed power.  

What I am thinking about this morning is what may work best for me to start is to have a set plan of eating a few specific things on a daily basis. By this I mean every day I will have, for the most part, the same thing. I am only talking about doing this for a few weeks here, but knowing myself, I cannot just plunge into full-tilt creativity right off the bat. Performing different calorie calculations and following "exchange" charts every day is a little bit over-whelming for me. I like things straight-forward and simple. (Let me put a caveat to all this that I do not have the formal transition materials yet -- these are just thoughts I am having.)

I also like the "safety" of the Optifast products and schedule, and if I have a set daily menu initially, I can follow along this path. Some people might get very bored with something like this and ultimately throw in the towel, but I work the opposite way. Having, say, yogurt every day is not hard for me. Having a 1/2 tuna fish sandwich, an apple and some wheat thins for lunch every day is very doable. I have to take this very, very slow. I also need to keep in close contact with the clinic. Weigh-ins are free, and consultations with the dietitians are about $35 a visit. I think what may work best for me is to go every two weeks and talk to someone. Really more to get emotional support, a pep talk about sticking with my exercise routine, and to keep myself "accountable" to my maintenance program.

I have heard of some people signing up with Weight Watchers after completing the Optifast program, so that's an option for you too. Whatever route you decide to take, I think some sort of support, at least in my case, is important and necessary when you reach goal and complete the program. If I'm left to my own "devices" I can get into trouble. And like I mentioned in a previous post, a five pound gain can happen so quickly, then it's 10 pounds and 15 lbs. and then it's off to the races and you're right back into obesity. I am going to do everything in my power to try and avoid that.

I'm not harboring any illusions that maintenance is going to easy. As you know, I was thinking about it a long, long time ago, when I was full fast and still had a ways to go in my program. Heck, I think I was thinking about it before I started the program. I take those liquid diet "failure" statistics pretty seriously. This has been a long, long journey, a hard journey sometimes, and it's not over. It will never be truly over.

So today I am going to try extra-hard to stay in the "now" and enjoy what unfolds. I don't know everything the day has in store for me, but that's okay. I do know it's freezing outside and I'll be bundling up when I go out! Have a wonderful day everyone. Always remember: One Day At A Time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment