Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Three-Legged Stool

Well, I am starting to look at maintenance as one of those old-time three-legged stools. You have the watching-what-you-eat and calorie etc. counting leg; the exercise leg; then the emotional issues leg. Of course you want all of your legs sturdy so you can sit on the stool. It would also be nice to have a comfy pillow on the stool -- I would call that the "wisdom" padding. I'm still gathering "materials" to get that made, so for now I'm just focusing on having a sturdy seat.

Sure, it would be great to have my stool already made for me by somebody else. Some master craftsman with cutting-edge tools and lots of experience. It would cost a lot, but I'd be willing to deplete my bank account just for the convenience. But alas, this is not an option. There are, however, classes I can take, offering instruction on how to build a sturdy seat. I can get coaching from master craftsmen, and get how-to manuals, and look at examples of well-made stools to use as a guide. Problem is, I'm new to all of this; I want a perfect stool right off the bat; and I'm overwhelmed by all the manuals I can read. And it's just plain hard. I want an easy project.

Right now, all of my three legs, currently under construction, are giving me problems. Trying to build them all at once is a difficult task. I feel like I'm under some deadline to get my stool made -- forgetting that good quality takes time. The emotional leg is particularly causing me problems right now. The weather is gloomy, I'm sad and tired, and then that affects the construction of my other two legs. I eat more than I intended, I don't exercise daily, preferring instead to stay inside and "hermit." Today in particular I'm sick of my stool project, and just want to shove it in the closet.

But, thankfully my instructor Millie makes "house calls" and checked in with an e-mail this morning. So did my classmate Kathy, who is taking our course on-line all the way from California. When I am connected to others I feel so much better, gain more confidence in my project. Millie reminded me that these things do take time, and lots of practice, and I really am doing well. Quite well, in fact. Kathy, dear, dear Kathy, is by my side in the workshop, encountering difficulties and stumbling blocks, but boldly going forward with her project. Other on-line classmates will check in for our study group soon, so I'm not alone.

Students, we are -- in life, actually. Maybe I'll never graduate. Maybe I ultimately will. I am thinking this afternoon I need a little study break. It's been a long week. A nice little nap may be in order. Perhaps snuggle in with a good book (not dieting-related), and then drift off for awhile. Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Upstairs I shall go. See you in a bit, stool. Don't go anywhere. I'll be back.      

No comments:

Post a Comment