Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Dilemma: Do I Have A Meal Out?

As I mentioned in my last post, "Why Comply?" an opportunity has arisen for me to have an allowable meal out. This is something my clinic suggested -- and a practice that they allow on certain occasions for full fasters (as opposed to those on the partial plan) faced with situations that might require eating non-Optifast products. My clinic, Central Ohio Nutritional Center, Inc. (CONCI) is the second largest Optifast clinic in the U.S. and has been in existence since the 1970s. Subsequently, this "green light" is not something that has not been tested. It has been allowed before. I am not a special case.

Now, my full compliance to the program is certainly a key factor in this situation. I have clearly demonstrated I follow directions to the letter and this is no binge session. I am allowed 2 Optifast 70 products that day then 4 oz. of fish; steamed vegetables with no butter; and a small salad with no dressing. It's actually an example of a sample maintenance meal. It's strict and includes no carbs or sugars. Whether it retards my weekly weigh-in would have to be seen after the fact. But even more concerning to me is whether or not it precipitates a full relapse in my program. That is what makes this a dilemma for me. And it is the reason why I must give this a great deal of thought before following through with it.

It's no secret that I am very, very proud of my compliance record to date. Frankly, it hasn't been too hard, and surviving two terrible craving experiences has only made me stronger in my resolve. I also feel a sense of "obligation" to my readers to be an example of someone who can provide wonderful support and motivation to complete the program and make it to goal. I do not want to jeopardize this. Which is why I will continue to ponder this until it comes closer to the time when a decision must be made.

I believe a situation such as this requires some "mental preparation." Blindly saying, "Let's go for it!" and not thinking about what happens afterwards is not something I personally can do. Putting real food in my body after months of a liquid-only diet is a huge step. Frankly, I am nervous about how my body will react. Certainly the clinic would not approve of such a situation if it was dangerous to my health. But I do "fight" fairly hard for every pound lost. It's been a slow-going journey, to be sure. Do I want to stumble by my own devices?

But I am intrigued by the possibility of getting a "test run" for maintenance, as successfully managing that is something front and center in my mind. Maintenance is going to be a big challenge for a chef skilled at preparing culinary delights night after night, year after year. Cooking has been my life for many years now, and I'm nervous about the changes I must make. Dining out with my husband has also been front and center for me. This situation will arise regularly, and new eating behaviors must be practiced. Experience such as this is invaluable to me.

So a new "twist" has now presented itself. I will keep you up to date on my decision-making. Any comments from your inquiries at your clinics regarding this type of situation would be greatly appreciated.  

1 comment:

  1. I sent you a message on Facebook about what my clinic said. No matter what decision you make, I know you will do what is best for your continuing success in this program. I admire you greatly!

    ReplyDelete