Saturday, July 21, 2012

Problems With Isolation

Perhaps the greatest challenge I have had since starting Optifast is trying to overcome the tendency to isolate myself. By this I mean I do not go out to restaurants any more, and those were the number one source for getting out for my husband and myself. I also met up with my friends over meals, so I don't see them right now. Subsequently, I'm home quite a bit. I have been encouraged by several Optifast friends to give going out to a restaurant a try, taking along one of my products to have whilst others eat their food. But I just don't feel comfortable with that. I tried it once, and boy was I glad when it was time to leave.

I realize all too clearly now how much my life revolved around food, and now that it is removed I'm literally unsure sometimes what to do with myself. In hindsight, I think that once I started Optifast, it was inevitable for me to have some difficulty occupying myself during those times I normally ate out. Establishing new routines is tough sometimes and it takes work. I have found that being successful on my program requires so much more than just taking the products and not cheating. It requires some innovative thinking about how to spend time when I get lonely and bored.    

I am trying to address the problem by taking walks with my husband in the evening, going to movies and music shows, swimming with the family, relaxing in the garden and of course spending some time on Facebook offering support to those on the program. I also write this blog, which gives me great satisfaction because I hope that I might be of help to others navigating their way through Optifast. But yes, despite all of this, I do get lonely from time to time. And I'm sure there are others like me. 

What is helping a little bit is I know I will be able to go out and eat with my husband, family and friends in due course. I am not going to be living this way forever. I'm also trying to be optimistic -- stay in positive thinking as much as I can. Honestly, this takes some work on my part but I'm putting forth the effort. And I'm always doing research about eating healthy because I know after I wean off the products the real work lies ahead. Maintenance could be challenging for me.

So in essence, maybe what I am doing right now is slowly making some behavioral changes -- changes that will help me overcome overeating caused by these exact feelings of boredom and isolation. If so, that is excellent progress! This is what the clinic tells us we must do: identify what lies underneath the overeating and  address it in tandem with healthy eating. If we do this successfully, odds are we can keep the weight off for the long term. And isn't that what we all want? I guess I'm just a work in progress. And that's not such a bad place to be.
  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Melissa,

    What hobbies do you have? I have gone back and read your posts when I first found your blog but don't recall reading in particular about your hobbies. Losing weight is a lonely journey and our lives will always revolve around food so I understand the isolation you feel since you are on the product and I think it's good to just write about it.

    With my first time on the program I knew I was going to be having a lot of free time to think about not having food (my addiction :( ) so I invested in a low-end DSLR and started taking photos. I took photos of everything, all the time.

    Maybe if you do something you've always wanted to try, but haven't had the time it will occupy you?
    :)

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara for your kind note! You are absolutely correct -- I need new hobbies to give me pleasure. I was thinking after reading your comment that I used to love to needlepoint and I have an unfinished pillow here. I think I am going to dig it out and start working on it again! It's complex, so it will take a lot of time to finish it. Thanks so much for posting!!

      Delete