Saturday, July 28, 2012

Why Comply?

I've been reading on our support pages about Optifasters having great difficulty sticking with the program. My heart goes out to them because I know how frustrating it must be and in my case, my small "cheats" with the Optifast bars three months ago ushered in such powerful feelings of guilt and remorse. Sadly, I think we are wired to think negatively about ourselves when we are not "good" and follow our instructions to the tee. This should not be the case but all to often, it comes to pass.

But let me take a moment to build a very strong case for sticking with the Optifast guidelines and remaining true to the program. First off, all should know that the reason Optifast works to help you shed a significant amount of weight in a shorter period of time is that it puts your body into a state of ketosis. You consume a set amount of products that greatly reduce your caloric intake, and your body begins to get its energy from burning fat. The products fill you up, and your hunger disappears.

Optifast all but removes carbohydrates and sugars from your diet. It is focused on protein -- much like the Adkins diet. But the moment you begin eating carbs, sugars or fats -- in a binge for example -- ketosis is broken. Your weight loss ceases and even worse, you are back to square one and must build back up to ketosis again. This means going through hunger and fatigue and the other uncomfortable things you initially experience when you start the program. And some get an upset stomach and feel ill after binging. All in all, it's not a pleasant place to be. So I stay far away from it.


The other key reason I remain complaint is the sheer cost of the Optifast program. I will have spent thousands of dollars on it before I am through. I'm just not the sort of person who will ever feel comfortable throwing away that kind of money on something I am not taking seriously. I have a very frugal husband who balked at the cost at first -- and rightly so. I might as well light a match to hundred dollar bills if I ignore instructions. And I just can't do that.


And lastly, I can only speak from my experience, but as someone who has relied on the Optifast products for 4 1/2 months, I feel truly fabulous. I may be losing my weight slowly, but my body feels so good. There is a spring in my step, I don't have aches and pains, my mood is wonderful, my self-esteem is soaring. Watching those pounds slide off is like a dream come true. Seeing my clothing size drop is liberating. Knowing my health is coming back to normal is relieving. The benefits are undeniable. 


Now, I cannot stress enough how strongly I believe that just because you have a slip, that does not mean you should jettison the program completely. You get right back on the proverbial horse and keep going forward, day by day, hour by hour if necessary. I don't have hard statistics to prove this, but it's my belief that the vast majority of Optifasters have a slip whilst on the program. It takes an incredible amount of willpower and dedication to be 100 % compliant. We are human and we fail from time to time. This is not something that should shame us.

Also, in my clinic, they encourage a few on the full fast to actually try a meal out on rare occasions. This has been suggested to me (because they know how important dining out is to me and my husband). I must let you know, however, that the allowable food for such a meal is very, very strict: no more than 4 oz. of grilled fish; a small serving of steamed vegetables; and a very small salad with no dressing or just a splash of vinegar. For someone used to preparing and also going out and ordering far more elaborate meals, this does not sound very appealing. But it is something I am considering.


Complying with your Optifast program does take some work but the benefits are so many. If you can keep that in mind, I believe that may help you stay on track. Weight loss will always require a change in attitude and a strong dedication. And if we go into our programs with a positive attitude and a desire to succeed, we will reach our goal weight. What an accomplishment that is! You can do this if you set your heart and mind to it. Make the commitment and victory is yours!     

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I am absolutely shocked that your clinic has suggested that you go out and eat food while on product, even if just a little. For me it isn't even what the food is, it is the mentality behind it. If I allow just a little bit of food in, then I start playing around and pretty soon I've ruined everything I've worked for. Our clinic has said stay on product until you are 10-15 pounds from goal, then you start transitioning. I'm like you ... this is an expensive program and I don't take kindly to just throwing money away. Besides, it feels like the end of this phase is coming near, at least within the next 3-4 months. That seems doable!

    ReplyDelete