Thursday, July 5, 2012

For Those Struggling With Loss Rate

I wouldn't say I'm an "expert" in Optifast, but I've been on product over three months now and logged a few weigh-ins in my time. One thing is quite clear to me now: we all lose weight at a different rate, and I am in the group that rarely breaks a 3 lb. loss every week. In fact, I have had weeks with a gain. As of now, my average is 2.2 lbs a week, and if I said that didn't frustrate me, I'd be lying. It does. And the other thing I have learned is this: I am not alone. There are a heck of a lot of people on Optifast frustrated as well.

But let's step back here and really assess the situation. If one is in full compliance whilst on Optifast (taking all products daily, not cheating, drinking water and exercising), the average expected loss is 2-4 lbs. per week. Weight Watchers can't produce this kind of result. It's significant, it's noticeable, and it's fantastic progress. There is also the loss of inches we get from the Optifast program. This is not necessarily reflected in pounds lost, but right now, I sure like the way I am looking in a mirror! Optifast success is measured in different ways. What about my excellent cholesterol levels now? Isn't that just as important as the number on the scale?

Perhaps you are like I was when I first started the program. I've mentioned this before, but I'll repeat it. I had, what do I call them, "delusions" that I would shed all of my weight (80 lbs. in my case) at record speed. Yes, some people do have this kind of success. And they are very, very fortunate and in some cases, a rare exception to the rule. I have been over this with my dietitian at great length. In many sessions. My average loss rate of 2.2 lbs. is falling right in the range of where it should be. In fact, given my thyroid and other issues, it could have been less. So in a way, I am an exception to the rule.

Now, it has taken over three months for me to feel comfortable in this state of "acceptance" of my loss rate. Yes, I still get frustrated, but I have moved into a space now where I understand that I will reach my goal -- in time. Honestly, I feel better now than I have felt in years. I actually like my routine. It's easy to follow. And I am definitely seeing results. I can do this! And so can you! Never forget that ultimately, we are losing our weight much more quickly than it took to put it on. And that is an accomplishment to celebrate! 

Yes, we all know that saying, "Patience is a virtue."  And for those of us watching the pounds slowly fall off, we get an "A" in the virtuous category. It's a grade well earned. And something that should make us very, very proud.


1 comment:

  1. One of the hardest things for me has been accepting that patience is a virtue, but it is absolutely true. You hit the nail right on the head, though ... there are so many triumps along the way that I just think must be as important as the weight loss. Great post!

    ReplyDelete