Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Tailored Optifast Program

I don't believe I've posted about the specifics of my program. I thought some might be interested in how it is tailored for my situation. Given the hypothyroidism, and accompanying low metabolic rate, the clinic decided to put me on a "combination" plan. This calls for three lower-calorie Optifast 70 shake products and two Optifast 800 products a day. The 70s are designed to "kick start" my loss rate, which was initially projected to be only 1.5 lbs. a week. I am actually doing better than expected, with an average loss of 2.2 lbs. a week and occasional weeks showing a loss over 3 lbs. I have even had a week where I lost 5 lbs. This caused much excitement!

Some may wonder why I am not solely on the lower-calorie all Optifast 70 plan. Given my low sodium level due to other medications I take, it's necessary for me to have an Optifast 800 soup every day -- and we are also adding 1/4 tsp. of salt to each serving to boost my sodium level even higher. I also prefer the 800 products to the 70s, so I asked to include an Optifast 800 vanilla shake a day as well. This program is working well for me. I enjoy my routine and the variation.

I want to let those still in the questioning phase of whether to enroll in the Optifast program to know that my slower loss rate should not cause you concern. Odds are you will probably lose much more quickly than me. We are all different, with different chemical make-ups. I have certain metabolic issues that directly impact how much I lose each week. My path to my 80 lb. loss goal is going to be longer than others. But I'm okay with that. It took me awhile to come to peace with this reality, but I'm here now.

My dietitian also spoke with me yesterday about how our bodies have a natural "settling point." Weight loss under this point can be very slow-going. This is why I have a goal weight of 160 lbs. even though I am 5'6. I could probably shoot for something a little lower, but it may be difficult to maintain. Now, I could encounter some obstacles towards the end of my journey and have problems getting to 160 lbs. even. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Importantly, I may have lost only slightly less than 40 lbs. in four months, but the inches shed from my body has been significant. That is wonderful. I am receiving compliments galore and I am constantly going down in clothing size. I love it. So Optifast is worth it to me. I just need to be a little more patient, perhaps, than others. I keep hanging in there. And if you're like me, you should too! We'll reach our destination in due course. I know it.

2 comments:

  1. Melissa, you have such a wonderfully positive attitude. I know it took a while to get there, but look at you! Now, where's that picture you were going to post? I am looking forward to seeing your before and current ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Well, I cannot seem to locate a proper "before" picture because I refused to have my picture taken by anyone. I can get a "current" picture (and a friend at work took one this week) but I didn't like it. I don't wear make-up to work and my hair wasn't completely dry. Also, my clothes are too big. I am going to "do myself up" on Monday and have a new picture taken. I'll get it up. I promise!

    ReplyDelete