Friday, July 13, 2012

Too Far To Fail

On the Optifast Facebook page, they spell it out quite clearly at the top of their page:

"The typical Optifast patient loses over 50 pounds in 18-24 weeks. For many dieters, weight loss is only temporary."

Okay. It doesn't get any more straightforward than that. I have to give them credit for honestly stating that yes, you'll lose weight on our program but if you expect to keep it off, you're facing some long odds. One thing I know is I don't want to be one of those "many dieters." Do any of us? I have come too far to fail! But how good are my chances for long-term success? Or put in another way, what do I need to do that the "many dieters" didn't?

Yes, I know through my research and my educational sessions at the clinic that former Optifasters who gained the weight back never followed the clinic's lo-cal meal plans, stopped exercising, started eating like the good old days, and sure enough, found themselves back to square one. The "many dieters" didn't implement the lifestyle changes discussed thoroughly by the clinic that are necessary to maintain the goal weight. But why? This is what I am interested in knowing. Could it be as simple as some people just like eating food? Don't like restrictive menus? And God forbid, hate exercising? Wait a minute...isn't that me?


And what about the emotional aspects to eating? Many eat for comfort. Or celebration. Or because of boredom. How are these things to be addressed? Are there new tools we should be using? Some of this gets overwhelming for me sometimes. I'm assuming the "many dieters" have problems in this area too. Yet this must be addressed for successful weight maintenance.  


I truly understand why people say that the phase I am in now, just taking my Optifast products, is easier than the (lifetime) maintenance phase that follows. And I'm worried about that. Perhaps I'm ahead of the game because I'm thinking about this in earnest now. I do not want to gain the weight back. I would feel so discouraged and deflated. Not only do I really need to stay focused in my educational sessions, I have to be thinking in earnest how I am going to reshape my relationship with food and my body. I have quite a bit of work ahead of me. One foot in front of the other, Melissa. One day at a time.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment