Friday, June 29, 2012

Some Words About Program Cost

Well, if you have already started the Optifast program, you know this already: Optifast isn't cheap. Even though you lose a good deal of weight in a shorter period of time than you would with other programs, it comes at a financial cost. And a big one at that.

Right off the bat, there is a very expensive initial examination to determine your BMI, metabolic rate, and a host of other things. I paid in excess of $500 for that. We must pay for weekly doctor visits, lab work every two weeks and the products. This works out to be for me, on average, $170 a week. I buy Splenda, a fiber supplement, Jello, flavored extracts and exotic spices. And that's another cost.

Now, keep in mind a few things. Program costs vary according to where you are in the country. Some insurance plans may cover a portion of your expenses. (Mine does not.)  I am on a combo Optifast 70/800 plan and have five products a day. You may have more or less. That affects your bottom line too. If you are doing the program overseas, you may not have the doctor and lab costs. But basically, we can all expect to part with a good chunk of change just on the products.

Which prompts the question: Is it worth it?

I would say "yes" for a number of reasons. First, I consider Optifast as an excellent investment in "me." I want to be healthy and happy and I am thrilled that I have found a program I like that will get me to this goal. This is not just about the weight loss -- this is about improving my overall health, and that includes lowering my cholesterol, which had reached a concerning level due to my budding obesity. I've already dropped from a 150 LDL to 99, putting me in the healthy zone. Mission accomplished!

Second, the Optifast program in the U.S. is not focused solely on products. The Optifast clinics offer extensive educational information and talks about weight maintenance after you come off of the products. This is so important for all of us, as many, many people who lose weight on a liquid diet gain it back eventually. And no one wants to be one of those folks. Of particular interest to me are the examples given of sample maintenance menus to prepare. As a cook who was dedicated to butter, salt and sugar, I have to go back to the proverbial drawing board on this. I really appreciate the education I am receiving.

And third, I have never felt so healthy in my life. I had fallen into a pattern of never eating breakfast or lunch, only dinner (and a large one at that) with grazing all night long. On my Optifast plan, I space five products out throughout the day and I feel great. I am never hungry. I am drinking lots of water and my body definitely appreciates that. And I have a wonderful doctor continuously monitoring me to make sure I am in tip-top shape. What more could I ask?

In summary, I love Optifast and I would recommend the program to anyone seeking a serious weight-loss solution. I do think it is worth the cost. Just don't forget your wise "investment" could turn on you if you don't follow the maintenance plan. Stay focused on your healthcare "portfolio" and you'll have an excellent return!


No comments:

Post a Comment