Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Back To Basics

I did not start this blog until I was three weeks into the program, and subsequently did not have any entries regarding my beginning days of "transitioning" onto the Optifast program. Boy, with this calorie adjustment, those challenging days have come back to haunt me! The good news is I have been through this period before and I know the strategies for handling the turmoil. Below are my symptoms right now and how I am addressing them:

Fatigue: In a word, I'm exhausted. Eight hours of sleep a night is not enough. Heavy lifting is too overwhelming and exercise (with the exception of a short, gentle walk) is impossible. This is the time to take it easy. I took the day off from work today so I could get some extra sleep. I awoke later in the morning and I feel much better. It's warmer outside, but a good soak in the tub is the next item on my agenda. I need to relax as best I can, allowing my body time to adjust to this reduction in calories. For me, getting enough sleep every night is a top priority. I function much better when I have slept well.

Light-headed: I feel dizzy at times, and I know I must use caution when driving the car and going up and down stairs. I may be an extreme example -- don't assume you will be like this. I take other medications and those impact my Optifast program. The important thing to remember is be aware of this possible side effect and take steps necessary to be careful.

Hungry/Tummy Growling: This is something that is more annoying for me than painful. When I hear growling, my knee-jerk reaction is to go eat something solid. This is not required. Drinking water really helps with this problem. Chewing gum is also recommended. The other thing I do is space my Optifast products closer together and go to bed earlier. I have three shakes throughout the day and I double up at dinner time with a soup and a shake. Then I have my sugar-free jello treat. This pattern should help me through this period.

It is very, very important not to "cheat" at all. This will impact the transition, and make it even more difficult for me. It will take longer and my symptoms will continue. And I don't want that!

Exercise: I feel very weak and don't believe I can walk very far. This is okay. It will pass. It means no strenuous workouts until I am feeling better. Trying to take a short walk around the block is a good idea. It's important to move if you can. I'm not going to feel guilty because I stopped working out. I'll get back to my routine in due course.

Now, keep in mind I do have a thyroid disorder -- your body could have no problem whatsoever with a reduction in calories. We are all unique. The most important thing for me is to not push myself too much and give my body time to adjust. I will be feeling better soon. I know that from experience! Taking it easy is my top priority each day.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment