Friday, June 22, 2012

Hello Jello!

I like a "sweet treat" at night. It wasn't always this way. Before I got married and began cooking in earnest, I didn't have much of a sweet tooth. But my husband has one, and he likes little "treats" after dinner. So I started indulging with him. And we all know where that gets you. In trouble!

When I attended my first meeting at the Optifast clinic, a consultation session, we went over the program and some allowable items I could have while on the fast. One is one cup of very low-sodium broth a day and the other is one cup of sugar free Jello a day. I never asked if we could have both every day -- I just assumed it was one or the other. At the time, I didn't like either, so I figured I'd have to go without.


On my second day of Optifast products, I was famished by 8:00 p.m. I was out at an ice hockey game in town and suddenly my tummy started growling like crazy and I felt intense hunger pangs. I grabbed a cup of coffee, hoping that would calm things down a bit. Alas, no dice. Somehow I made it to the end of the match, but I made it clear to my husband as we were walking to the car that an emergency run to the grocery store would be made immediately!


Once there, I finally located the pre-packaged Jello in the refrigerated section. I had found the Jello mix in the box, but it takes four hours to set (90 minutes if you use ice cubes). I wouldn't make it that long! I filled my basket up with a 6-pack of the refrigerated Jello and 10 boxes of assorted Jello mixes. They happened to be on sale. And from the looks of things, I was going to be needing a good supply.


In hindsight, I think that strawberry sugar free Jello I had that night, so many weeks ago, was one of the best things I have ever tasted. That simple gelatin brought me more happiness and contentment than a creme brulee (my favorite dessert). From that evening on, I treat myself to the Jello every night around 9:00 p.m. My favorite flavors are Strawberry, Cherry, Raspberry and Orange. I alternate between all of them to prevent boredom. That seems to do the trick.


Ask your clinic if you are allowed to have sugar free Jello in addition to your products. I think you will enjoy it as well. This light treat is very satisfying for me and helps to round out the day. 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment