Saturday, June 30, 2012

Friend or Foe: The Bathing Suit

Ah yes, it has come to that time. It's in the high 90s today, and my family is gathering for a pool party this afternoon. And you know what that means: bathing suit time! All the ladies will inevitably shudder, because we know this is a garment that is not too forgiving. Everything is out there for all to see. It's no wonder some of us just stop sunning altogether. Talk about vulnerability!

But I have decided that I am going to embrace this event with gusto. I have always been a "water baby." I learned to swim at age two and I was tackling tough waves in the Atlantic Ocean as a toddler. I was on the swim team in high school and my workouts in the past incorporated a one-mile lap swim in the pool. I really, really enjoy this activity. And I will not let my weight keep me from enjoying something I love.

Now, what is uplifting to me right now is the bathing suit I currently have was purchased last year, before I started Optifast. And today, I am (pardon the pun) "swimming" in it! Yes, I still am overweight, but the suit is definitely too big. And I'm absolutely thrilled about that! Sure, I could go out and purchase a new one, and maybe I will do that, but I'm going to wear this one today to show off my progress to my loved ones. I've earned it!

I am also looking forward to getting some sun. I am very pale right now --my husband even commented on it-- and there is nothing like a little color to perk things up. I am careful to use sunscreen, even though I tan very easily. That's something we all should do, given the strength of the rays today. My days of using Baby Oil (back in the 1970s) are over!

So for the first time in a long time, I am really looking forward to donning a suit. I may not look the sexiest at the pool, but I couldn't care less. Today, my bathing suit is my best friend. And isn't that a wonderful thing!

1 comment:

  1. You get em girl!! I, too, am a water baby having lived in San Diego since I was 3. People don't care as much of what we look like as we do, that's for sure. And, yes, pleease wear that sunscreen. As a melanoma survivor, I value the protection it offers and don't want anyone to go through what I did with that cancer.

    ReplyDelete