Sunday, June 10, 2012

Some Reflections

I thought today that I would list some important things I have learned to date about doing the Optifast program. I'm about a third of the way to my goal weight, and some reflections might be in order.

Patience: When I started the Optifast program, I really thought I would be dropping a significant amount of weight very quickly. I'm not quite sure where I got this idea. I knew I had thyroid issues and my thyroid doctor, who suggested I lose weight in the first place, had told me that weight loss for me would take time. But I pushed this to the back of my head, and viewed a liquid diet as a "miracle cure" -- something that would work fast and over-ride metabolic realities. This would prove to not be the case.

I have learned, week by week, that there is a little victory with every pound lost. Yes, in the back of my head I will always wish for a greater loss each week than I have, but I am becoming more comfortable with my "average" loss of 2-3 lbs. per week. Predictability is comforting, in a way. I try to never forget: I am moving closer towards my goal. I will reach it in due course. Embracing patience, not frustration, is a gentler path to follow.

Preparation: I stepped into the Optifast program almost "cold" -- I hadn't done much research beyond talking to my brother who did Optifast in 1982. I would suggest one do some thorough research before embarking on the program, and talk to the family doctor if possible. I'm moving through just fine, but it never hurts to gather as much background information as you can.

I mentioned previously that I have never been on a diet before. No Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig or other type of program. My saving grace has been my clinic, which has been running their Optifast program for 33 years, and has a wealth of knowledge about how to successfully do the program. I make sure to ask the dietitian and doctor a lot of questions and relay information to them about my struggles. And I take the extra step of introducing myself to the other people going through the program. We support one another and celebrate victories along the way.

Also, I plunged into Optifast without thinking through carefully how this would impact my husband. He was and is very supportive, but when one person in the couple stops eating "regular" food, things change dramatically. Talk over your decision to do Optifast with your spouse and children before you start. This will help with the transitioning process. Adjustments must be made and you can smooth things a bit if your loved ones are in the loop.

The Support System: Perhaps the most valuable tool you can have to help you successfully reach your goal weight is a good, solid support system. This includes family, friends, individuals in your clinic, and in this wonderful day and age, people you can meet through the Internet. Posters on the Optifast Facebook page as well as those writing and reading Optifast blogs are a great help. I do think our journeys are best understood by those currently going through the Optifast program or those who have successfully completed it. Odds are most have faced any struggle you are facing, and can help guide you through the pitfalls. I credit a good deal of my success to all the wonderful people I am now in touch with electronically. I know I am not alone and that is a great feeling. Work on building up your own support system. It's a valuable thing to have.

One Day At A Time: If there is one phrase that sums up my personal strategy for staying committed to the Optifast program, this is it. If I go down the path of thinking, "Oh no, I have x days to go without real food" I will start to waver and question myself. I am doing the program for a reason -- I was sedentary and obese. My health was impacted. I am not doing this simply to look good in a pair of jeans -- I am doing Optifast to get back to a healthy, happy me. And using the "just for today" mentality makes my journey so much easier. I stay in the day and find that to be completely manageable. I encourage you to think about using this approach. It's an "easier, softer way" and it really works!

I am sure I will still be learning more things as I continue on my journey. I hope this information is helpful to you.  


1 comment:

  1. Yes, the "one day at a time" mantra is quite helpful. If today isn't perfect, that doesn't mean tomorrow won't be. :) I am also so glad I found the facebook page and all the blogs. So very, very helpful...keep posting!

    ReplyDelete