Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Facebook: The Electronic Support Network

I really do believe that the Optifast journey is best understood by those currently going through the program and those who have completed it. Yes, our physicians and dietitians and the support staff at the clinic are so helpful, but when it comes to needing a good "sounding board" your Optifast friends provide the best. This has been the case for me.

When I first started the program, I set about building up an "electronic support network" of fellow Optifasters on the Internet. As you know, I'm a Facebook user and I was thrilled to find that Optifast U.S. has set up a Facebook page. For those not familiar with Facebook, it is a social networking site which allows users from around the world to connect with one another through, among other things, assorted pages. Optifast has one of these pages and it offers you the ability to "post" questions and other things, to which people can reply with "comments." 

I like Facebook for many reasons. It brings people around the world together, and you can be in touch with them throughout the day and evening. Optifasters have several avenues to connect with one another on Facebook. In addition to the Optifast page, there are a few "groups" you can join: the Optifast Chat Support group and the Liquid Dieters group. Simply type these names in the search box and you will be taken right to them. 

For those seeking one-on-one communication, Facebook offers you the ability to "message" back and forth with a Facebook friend. It is similar to emailing back and forth. This particular avenue allows you to get to know somebody even better, and in time you may find a real friendship blossoms.

I cannot tell you how happy I am to now have new Optifast friends from California, Florida, West Virginia, Rhode Island, Ireland and New Zealand, among other places. We support one another through the trials and triumphs of a liquid diet and share a wealth of information ranging from recipe tips to helpful blog sites to ideas for little "rewards" we can give ourselves for milestones reached. The people I have met are so inspirational and keep me motivated on my own journey. I cannot recommend this option for support enough!

If you do not have a Facebook account at this time, I encourage you to think about it. The support it provides is invaluable to me as I continue on my Optifast journey. In fact, I must give credit to my friend Elana from Facebook for giving me the idea to set up this blog in the first place! I wouldn't be here if it weren't for her. Come find me if you get signed up. I'll be ready and waiting!

  

3 comments:

  1. I, for one, am so glad that I decided to seek support on the Optifast Facebook page. I have met so many amazing people, including you! You are so supportive of my journey, celebrating in triumphs and helping me through challenging times. I was resistant at first to going "public" with my Optifast journey because I was a little concerned about people who would judge my choices, but all I have found is encouragement, support and lovely new friendships ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, thanks! You are my greatest inspiration and always there to help me through my struggles and celebrate my triumphs! Your blog is a "must read" for me...I have learned so much from you! Your journey is blessed and a joy to see. I am so very grateful we are friends. Couldn't do this without you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, you are always there for me and everyone else as well. We can do this together! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete