Saturday, June 2, 2012

Never Give Up

The root of all evil
Well, let me come clean on something: Right now, I hate exercise. It wasn't always this way -- I used to run, and swim a mile a day, 5 days a week. I had a trainer and did intense circuit training. I felt great after my workouts. But alas, things have changed. I dread walking. I have no passion for it. And sadly,  if I'm going to succeed on Optifast and beyond, this is going to have to change. Great.

How did this dislike of mere "movement" evolve? Well, I'm pondering this tonight. I believe I can pinpoint the start to last summer. I twisted my ankle horribly and actually could not really walk for a few days, and then it was hobbling for awhile. Sitting on a recliner with my feet propped up was far more comfortable. And then I discovered I could arrange nibbles on the table next to me so I didn't have to get up and go back to the kitchen. Perfect! Time moved on and before I know it, I'm barely walking at all. Funny how quick this can become a habit.

When we rolled into the Fall and hockey season opened, I had no choice but to walk from the parking garage to the Arena. This was about, oh, seven blocks or so. I made it two blocks before a searing pain cut across my lower back. I am 46 years old, and nothing like this had ever happened before. My breath got labored and I slowed to a snail's pace. Grandmothers were passing me on the sidewalk. What was wrong with me? My God, I had been so sedentary I now couldn't walk. I was horrified. (Actually, this incident and others like it that followed were the major spark for me to go on Optifast.)

Ten-hut!
Fast-forward to today. I am actually feeling quite proud of myself! I did a 4 mile walk with my husband. He has become my "Drill Sargent." I protest about the walking and he makes me go anyway. He walks at a much faster pace than I do, so I have to move a little more quickly at first than I would like. But bless his heart. As I mentioned in a previous post, he had me hike 1.5 miles up the side of a mountain last weekend; this weekend we walked the bike trail into downtown. My feet are killing me but I am so glad he made me do it.

I know I am going to have to bring in a personal trainer when I start doing the circuit training. I am waiting until I drop another 20 lbs. to do so. So I'll have two sargents keeping me going. The ultimate goal is to no longer need them, rather to actually want to do this on my own. I've got my eyes on that goal. To me, I am not just on a journey to shed my weight and call it a day. I want a lifetime of good health, which means eating sensibly and exercising regularly, among other things to keep things fun!

A new best friend
I want you to know if this sedentary slug can get up and moving, you can too! I've been where you are, I'm still struggling a bit with it, but slowly progress is being made. It took some time to slide into a life void of exercise, and it's going to take some time to get up and out of the chair. To motivate myself, I'm buying a new pair of cross-trainers this week. Perhaps in a wild color. Hockey season starts in five months. And I plan on being ready!

 

3 comments:

  1. I think a wild color for those shoes is an awesome idea! I know what you mean about things taking time. When I first started my journey, I never imagined I'd experience a time when I actually enjoy exercise, like some sort of crazy person. I always thought those people were full of it, but ... I love it now. In fact, after I'm done drinking my shake, I'm planning on getting out there and exercising myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My exercise consultant won't let me lift weights until I am taking in more calories. :((( You are on full fast, too, right? Why can't I lift weights then?

    And you are doing so great and I love to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Slowly but surely I'm getting this exercise going...sigh...new shoes better help!

    ReplyDelete