Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Gain: Accepting the Unacceptable

Well, I follow my 5 lb. loss last week with a .4 gain this week. Sigh. It's tough to see a gain, no matter how insignificant, when I am totally compliant with the program. I felt dejected at first, but then my dietitian put things into perspective.

Looking over my chart, you can see -- like clockwork -- every four weeks I have posted either a zero loss or an ever-so-slight increase. And why is that so? Of course you can guess why: I have my period! I retain extra water and that prevents a loss. I should be anticipating these plateau weeks by now, but funny, I don't want to acknowledge the inevitable. So I get frustrated and start questioning the program.

Stop, Melissa. Be patient.

Yes, I don't think anything tests your patience more than a gain when you are on Optifast. In my case, because I am losing pounds at a slower rate, I am tested even more. I must work very diligently to see past this kind of weigh-in and commend myself for the weight I have lost to date. I have to also move into my acceptance mode. My body is moving along at its own pace, and the weight will be shed accordingly. My metabolism is terrible, and I am doing extremely well (for someone in my situation) with a 2-3 lb. average loss per week. I need to remember this.

The folks at the clinic were very encouraging yesterday, anticipating a more significant loss for me next week. That will probably be the case, but honestly, in my heart right now, I'm a little bit skeptical. Keep in mind, I have always felt this way before and they have always been right. And I know from several of my Optifast friends that the same thing has happened to them. A gain, followed by a bigger loss the next week.

Why then, does the to-be-expected gain cause such discontent? I guess it's like I mentioned above, I'm compliant so I expect to be "rewarded" with a loss. I want to reach my goal weight as soon as possible. And I still believe my body will kick-start into this free-falling weight loss pattern. And that's not going to happen. Time to take a deep breath and be realistic about the situation. As I have mentioned in the past, I had this crazy notion I would be through this program in four months despite my thyroid doctor's opinion. Time to come back to Earth.

Again, it seems to all come back to patience and acceptance for me. Patience with my program and acceptance of my body. Obviously, this is still a work in progress. But I am getting closer with each passing day.  






2 comments:

  1. Be kind a gentle with yourself, dear friend. As you may recall, I experienced a week of not losing anything very resently, then the next week I lost a big amount. And what did you say to me? (I am going to quote you here ...) "I knew it!!! I had a feeling you would see a good loss this week. Love how you took last week's weigh-in in stride. Put it behind you and look at this! SO proud of you and everything you have accomplished."

    I know that acceptance is hard, especially when our heads tell us something different than our expectations. Just know that you are doing absolutely everything correctly and that's terrific. Hang in there sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much angel. Boy, does my head do tricks on me! I am better today and I know I am on my little journey...such an, err, "interesting" road we walk! I was thinking today how I honestly feel GREAT these days and that's a wonderful thing. So many benefits with Optifast. That's important too -- just as much as the weight number. I'm getting there. I'll hit my goal.

    ReplyDelete