Monday, June 18, 2012

Inward We Must Go

Now that I am somewhat "seasoned" in my Optifast routine, I've been ever-so-gently tip-toeing around something I know I need to do. There is a question I need to try and answer, and it is not going to be a straight-forward, easy process. But if I want to succeed in my quest for successful weight maintenance, I'm going to have to start somewhere. So here goes.

The question: Why did I overeat in the first place?

Let's think about this. It's actually quite complex, so I need to start breaking things down into small bits. This process will not be completed in one post -- maybe 100 is more like it. But this is just off the top of my head right now. First, I know I love food. The way it looks as well as the way it tastes. Second, I don't like being told I can't eat certain foods. I dislike "restrictions." Third, I do not like people watching me when I eat food. That's a big one. And lastly, I get great satisfaction when people eat and love the food I prepare. And I won't serve food I don't love to eat.

Okay. That was pretty easy. I've started. Let's keep going. What else do I think about when I look at my eating behavior? Well, I'll eat pretty much anything. I eat quickly. I want it over with as quickly as possible. I'll eat everything on my plate. I'll ask eating companions if I can have "a taste" of their dish. Sometimes, I eat well beyond fullness. I eat when I am bored.

Now let's look at how I feel when I eat. Uh oh. This feels a little bit ... difficult. You know what just popped into my head? I thought, "Maybe I eat to feel." Now, this is something I didn't expect. I'm not sure I want to go here right now. It's too soon. But the fact I've touched a nerve of sorts tells me I need to re-visit this in the future when I am ready.


I have months here whilst I am on the Optifast products to unpack this "why." I think I need to understand my overeating before I can successfully implement strategies to prevent it. So I have some homework (of sorts) to do during this fasting period. But at least I've made an honest start and we can build from here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment