Friday, June 8, 2012

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

(Courtesy of my clinic, Central Ohio Nutrition Center Inc.)
At times, weight loss patients get so focused on the pounds lost that they fail to see all the positive changes that are occurring along with the weight loss. Here are some things to think about next time you are wondering if you are succeeding or not!
  1. Have you lost inches? Clothing size changes or inches lost can spur you on to keep going.
  2. Has there been a change in your blood pressure since you have lost weight?
  3. Has there been an improvement in your cholesterol levels?
  4. For diabetic patients, has there been a change in blood sugar, medications needed, or insulin? This is often a motivator for patients to keep the weight off!
  5. Have you been able to decrease or completely discontinue any medications since losing weight? Many patients are pleased to decrease the need for medications, and also realize that they are saving money!
  6. Have you been able to move easier? Patients often state this as one of the biggest reasons for wanting to lose weight. They want to be able to enjoy life and participate in activities with their families! The next time you need motivation for continuing, realize how much more you are able to do!
  7. Are you fitting into seats and booths more comfortably? Airplane seats, restaurant booths, and waiting room chairs become much more comfortable after the weight loss!
So the next time you need a boost to keep on going, just take a few moments to realize all the positive changes that have occurred. With weight loss, many people feel better mentally and physically. Make each day count and enjoy the journey!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you sooo much for posting the above list. As I read it, I realized I have great answers for each:

    1. I've lost 5 sizes.
    2. My blood pressure has gone from dangerous levels to being low.
    3. The bad cholestrol has been much improved and the good is higher.
    4. As a diabetic, I've gone from needing huge amounts of insulin each day to very small amounts.
    5. I'm off almost all of my meds.
    6. I exercise a lot more, and even look forward to it.
    7. I used to eithe not fit in seats or would be busting out of them - now I have room to spare.

    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it great? I really like this info. Reminds me of all the wonderful benefits be are seeing as a result of being on the program. When I started, I was only interested in the lb. loss, and now I am realizing all the other great things that are happening to my body. I love it!

    ReplyDelete