Monday, June 3, 2013

What A Difference A Year Makes

I was thinking today how radically different this time is than last year, when I was still over 200 lbs., even though I had been on product for 2 months. I couldn't move that well, and I certainly didn't want to get out of my recliner -- my husband would have to pry me out to go walking with him. I was frustrated with the slow weight loss, but I had no intention of quitting. So I steeled myself for a challenging summer. And at times, that's what it was.

Fast forward to today, where I can move with ease, I am at a healthy weight, and I feel fantastic. I visited a friend and her husband Saturday afternoon who I have not seen in a very long while, and the compliments about my weight loss seemed to never stop. I was shy about it at first, then let myself enjoy the feedback. I worked hard for this. I deserved this! Everything seemed to converge and I felt -- I feel -- so happy, so grateful for the Optifast program. I stayed compliant and as promised, I reached goal. In hindsight, this is one of the greatest accomplishments in my life.

Bathing suit season is fast approaching -- heck, it's already here! -- and I'm actually excited to don my new suit and join my extended family for swims in the pool. I haven't felt this way in years. Years! I've always been a "water baby" (I started swimming lessons at age 2) and I love to splash around with my nieces and nephews, and then spend some quieter time talking with my Mom as we float in the water. When my weight got so high I quit doing this, wrapping myself up in a baggy cover-up and just sitting at a table, under the umbrella. Those days are gone now. Good riddance to you!

I am even embracing my gardening with gusto, creating a "floral montage" with numerous terra cotta pots filled with bold, colorful flowers, clearly illustrating my renewed vigor and happiness. I'm keeping up with my watering (well, my husband helps too) so they continue to flourish all summer long. This is an excellent example of my "re-birth" -- into a whole new world of opportunity for me. I'm thrilled. I'm excited. I'm ready for action!

I know maintenance continues to have its challenges, but I am feeling very strong and confident right now. I'm inching closer to the 5 month mark, and much has been learned along the way. A year ago, I was very, very concerned about facing maintenance and worried that I would not be successful. But look at me -- I'm doing it!

Yes, I'm in a good place today. And it feels wonderful.




No comments:

Post a Comment