Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Plot Thickens

A friend, not an enemy?
Got my thyroid tests yesterday and guess what: my levels are completely normal. Quite good, actually! This is of course is a good thing, and I'm relieved, but it prompts the question: what in the heck has been going on with Melissa?  I'm in constant communication with Millie and I will see her at the clinic this afternoon. We are going to do a blood draw and have a full panel done. She has mentioned my electrolytes could be off balance, and actually a colleague at work brought this up too. I went into the office yesterday looking like death, with severe trembling, and she gave me an Ensure and had me salt my turkey sandwich and cottage cheese (which is a nonfat/no salt variety). I got color back in my face and started feeling better. So I added some salt to my dinner and I was able to go walking with my husband last night.

Low sodium in my system might be the true problem. The situation may be exacerbated by some medication I take. You may recall I had some real issues with low sodium when I was about 3/4 of the way through my Optifasting. Like this time, I rushed to my thyroid doctor when I wasn't feeling well; had the thyroid levels checked; and they were just fine. Then I added a pickle spear each day along with my products and everything stabilized. So we will look into this as a possibility. I can just tell you that this morning, I feel better. I had some Fiber One last night (1/4 cup) and my system handled it just fine. I think I'll be on the mend soon.

Now, I am very excited to tell you I went to my nearby Rec Center and found someone to help me with the weight machines and also learned there was a Step/Zumba/Conditioning class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I signed right up. Combining the class with the weights is exactly what I need to start the process of building my muscles back up. I know I won't be in top shape when we leave for California next month, but at least I will have made some progress. I've got some structure for my exercise now and I'm so happy about that.

It took me a long, long time to get to this point, so I want those who are struggling with getting a good exercise routine in place to know that you can get to where I am. Many factors had to come together, many pieces had to fall into place for this to transpire for me. First, I needed Kathy, my clinic Director, to constantly reinforce, over and over again, how important exercise is for weight loss and maintenance. Second, I watched clinic friends and Facebook friends commit strongly to their exercise routines and that motivated me quite a bit. Third, I am so hell-bent on keeping this weight off, and I know without an exercise program, this isn't going to be possible. And lastly, I have a huge incentive coming up -- the California hiking trip -- and that is really giving a boost for me.

Come to think of it, all of our vacations involve physical exercise in some form or another. This might be something you should pursue, if you don't already. Just a thought. Okay, It's time for me to get ready for work. I'll update you on my meeting with Millie this afternoon. Take care and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment