Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A "New Normal"?

Good evening all and apologies for my absence. It's taken me a few days to get settled down and I report that I am feeling much, much better physically. I also started a Step/Zumba class today! This is my very first time taking one of these classes, and I sort of fumbled around but I sweated up a storm and actually had fun. I met some nice women too. Class is held at the Rec Center Tuesday and Thursday, and I will be going right up until we depart for California. In addition, I purchased tennis rackets over the weekend and my husband and I plan on playing tennis 3-4 times a week. So my new exercise routine is now in place. Hooray!

On my weight...well...hmm. It's up. I went to a BBQ on Saturday and did not watch my portion size. I went into the day weighing 159 lbs. and when I stepped on the scale Sunday, it registered 165 lbs. And it has stayed here ever since. Yes, it's the water retention from the extra sodium. But you know me -- of course I'm convinced the weight gain will be permanent, it will never come off, and I'm destined to gain everything back.

But I have decided I am going to fight back against these fears. I know my pattern now. This is not something new. I also know that the increase in my thyroid medication recently added a few pounds, and despite my efforts (pre-Step/Zumba/tennis), those pounds refuse to come off. Also, since we determined last week my sodium level was trending towards the low side, I have upped my sodium intake slightly, so there's probably more water weight from that. Which begs the question: Is 165 lbs. my "new normal"?

I guess I won't know for sure for a little while. And I'm not going to let that drive me crazy. I am just going to continue on with my healthy eating routine -- one well-established -- keep exercising, and see what happens. I am getting better with this maintenance "thing" as each day passes. And Millie continues to help me along the way. I'm content tonight. And it feels good. I'll be at the clinic tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes. Sleep well all!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment