Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Transition Fears: Remember The Three-Legged Stool

Take a seat
Well, we've got some folks on the Facebook Optifast Chat Support page that are coming up on transition and facing those fears I am so, so familiar with. As you know, I had a rather "bumpy" landing when I came off product, because there were some emotional issues I had (i.e. anxiety) that really flared up when transition time came. It is a huge step to go from having all your meals throughout the day mapped out, to now having to make your own choices as to what you eat and when. Your fears are justified and to be expected.

There is no doubt in my mind that if you remain focused on what my clinic calls the "Three Legged Stool" of weight maintenance, you will get through this stage more smoothly and set yourself up beautifully for maintenance. Leg One: Count your calories. Leg Two: Exercise. (Daily, if you can.) Leg Three: Keep a close eye on your emotional triggers for overeating and monitor your behavior when you are around tempting food.

Now, I'll be the first to tell you that sure, it's nice to have this all boiled down into three things, but the truth of the matter is lots of factors come into play that complicate them. Nailing down the exact number of calories you eat every day can be tricky if you cook, and I have found I am moving away from my calorie counter, MyFitnessPal, because I eat the same things for the most part every day. Could this be dangerous and set me up for weight gain? I'm not sure yet.

My exercise is constant and in good shape. Now. What happens after my California trip is over? When the temperature in Ohio really heats up and I don't even want to go outside? Of course I'm not going to go there, because I stay in "today" -- in the present, the "now" -- but sure, I've thought about this. I get motivated and kick things into high gear when I have a specific goal, such as the California trip. In the case of Optifast, staying compliant until I reached my goal weight. No matter how long it took. This exercise leg on my stool is going require a lot of attention. This I know.

And I believe without a doubt that many, many people don't tend to that emotional behavior leg of the stool when the product-only phase is over. In fact, I think this is the key reason why they regain all their weight, because things fall like dominoes when the emotional issues overtake you. For example, you get depressed. You eat to try and feel better. It doesn't work. You gain some weight. You get mad. You eat some more. The exercise stops. Then you just throw in the towel from frustration. Before you know it, all the weight is back. Back to square one.

In a nutshell, we are going to have to do some work to have a successful transition off the Optifast products and to hold our weight in maintenance. Do not be afraid of this -- just expect it. You have more strength and fortitude than you might think. It's just knowing how to tap into it consistently. And remember when I talked about "imperfect progress"? That applies here. Take it slow, remember you get more confident every day. You can do it! Believe in yourself. That's the key to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment