Sunday, December 2, 2012

Biggest Challenge Yet

Greetings all and apologies for my absence. I was overwhelmed by work, then took a week's vacation in Florida and now my in-laws are visiting for six weeks. They are staying at my Mom's place while she winters in Florida. I have been facing some huge challenges as I continue to move forward to my new goal weight of 150 lbs. It is the holiday season, of course, and when family is brought into the mix that means one thing: FOOD. It is everywhere and I must navigate around it, and I am finding the waters choppy indeed.

I was very fortunate to come out of the Florida trip with a three pound loss. I left for Florida weighing 171 lbs. and gratefully weighed in at 168 lbs. last week. This was accomplished even though I had "real" food for dinner for five nights straight. The secret? Strict adherence to the small salad, fish, vegetable rule. I had my meals planned in advance before I left, viewing the restaurant menus online and when we had dinner at home, I instructed my Mom to buy certain things and prepare them a certain way. I also walked the beach with my husband -- not at a sprint, rather, leisurely but they were long walks.

However, some trouble started brewing when we returned to Columbus. Instead of being able to return to my full fast, I have been gathering with my husband's family for dinners. I feel very, very awkward bringing my product, and it's not really my place to dictate what food should be served and how the food should be prepared. I'm torn because I want to join in with everyone but I know I must try as hard as I can to stay compliant and get to the finish line. There were two dinners my mother-in-law cooked this week and a third is planned for tonight at a restaurant. I initially thought about trying to steer everyone to the place I go to with my husband where there is a very lo-cal salad I like, but that does not appear to be favorable to anyone.

So I made an "executive decision." I am going to excuse myself from dinner tonight.

Now, this probably doesn't seem like a big deal to anyone. But this is huge for me. I have never done something like this before and I feel terribly guilty. The in-laws travel a very long way to be here with us and my absence will be glaringly obvious. But I just have to put together some days of only Optifast products. As you know, my weight loss has been so slow -- any pound gained takes me twice as long to get off. I'd be devastated if I came out of this month with no weight lost at all. I want this phase of the journey over and I still have almost 20 lbs. to lose. That's a good two months full fasting on product for me.

This is going to be a real test for the next six weeks. I'll be here blogging to keep me sane. Fortunately I have my mother to call, support at the clinic, Optifast friends online and my husband assisting me along the way. It's one day at a time. I will not forget that.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa!
    Nice to see you back :) I'm sorry about the situation you're going through; are you comfortable enough to talk to them about it in any way at all? I have the same problem except my family is the problem while my in-laws are great. Anyway, I think you made a good choice. Sometimes good choices for us are not for others.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete