Saturday, December 29, 2012

The "High" and "Low"

It's normally around Thanksgiving time that we gather to give thanks for the "bounty we are about to receive." But this year, I have reserved my thanks for the end of the year -- New Year's Eve -- when I plan to cuddle up with my husband and share the "high point" and "low point" in each of our lives throughout the past year. I find this sort of exercise to be quite therapeutic and it creates a sense of gratitude for things we might have forgotten or taken for granted.

It's no secret that my all-time low was stepping on that scale at the Optifast clinic in March and seeing the number: 239 lbs. I was shocked, embarrassed, overwhelmed, scared. A host of feelings overwhelmed me. I had never had a doctor actually call me "obese" (I always stepped on the scale in the doctor's office with my back to it, so my day wouldn't be wrecked), but standing there and seeing that number, it was undeniably true. I felt ugly and bloated and unlovable. But, at least I knew I was looking the problem squarely in the face and attacking it -- finally.

My high point is actually not today. Rather, it occurred in late November, when I was in Florida for vacation.  I remember the day quite clearly. I was walking the beach with my husband, along the shoreline. It was sunny, but a cool wind was blowing. I had my new bathing suit on, and a loose, white wrap that was rippling softly in the wind. I was not at goal yet -- I think I weighed about 170 lbs., roughly 20 lbs. to my goal -- but I felt like a champion. I was comfortable in my own "skin," I had no fear of how I looked, my body wasn't in pain, and I had such a sense of serenity and peace. I was with the man I love, and I felt so blessed. The days and days of fasting had paid off  (and it wasn't even a "chore" to begin with). I was so happy -- I remain happy -- and I realized that losing the weight was one of the biggest successes of my life. It was a lovely day indeed. And I will never forget it.

If you have just stumbled upon my blog, I want you to know that this "high point," this state of serenity and peace can be yours too. Enroll in the Optifast program. Courageously step on the scale. And begin your own Optifast journey. Shake by shake, soup by soup, bar by bar, you can get to where I am if you follow directions, dig deep inside for commitment and compliance, and utilize all the outside supports you have available to help you along the way. Yes, there will always be critics of this weight loss program, and any other program that is either liquid, or strips carbs and sugars from your diet. But there is no denying the fact that it works if you follow directions.

If you are obese, you must take action. In some way. I chose Optifast and I have absolutely no regrets in this decision. I am happy to respond to any critic of the program -- I would actually be delighted to engage in a robust debate about its benefits and costs. No, I am not in maintenance yet, and that is where the true test (and much of the criticism) lays. But at that juncture, what ultimately unfolds is completely up to me. Not Optifast. Keep that in mind going in to the program, and always keep it in mind as you walk your road to a healthy life. We are responsible, we are accountable for what we put into our bodies, how we handle our emotions, what choices we make every day. Let's make wise choices. We all have the capacity to do so. Each day is a gift -- live it to the fullest! That's what I plan to do. Join me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa- I recently found your blog, and I could not step away until I had read each entry. My name is Amy Romine and I'm also from Columbus, well we live in Pataskala, but I work downtown.
    I have my informational meeting next Monday, and while I'm excited, I'm very scared...scared of failure....but I m confidant that I will gain support from Facebook, blogs, and those I meet in class.
    Thanks for writing such an open, honest blog..

    Hope to chat again ,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete