Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tricks Of The Trade: Cups, Bowls & Spoons

At the clinic, the wonderful dietitians always tell us they are "Obsessed -- With Your Success!" Millie makes a point of telling us that we are actively being "brainwashed" and that always makes me laugh. They are brainwashing us in a good way, teaching us weight management tips and then going over them "relentlessly." It's a great strategy, actually, because many of the things they teach about good nutrition and exercise are now firmly rooted in my head.

Being a cook, I get very intrigued by recipe suggestions, yes, but also by the gadgets and utensils and whatnot that they tell us we should always have in our kitchens -- sometimes in plain sight, if you're having problems remembering to use them. In particular, I am talking about measuring cups, measuring spoons, small bowls and plates, small eating spoons, and I'm going to add smaller forks. Millie has brought in examples of everything we must have.

On measuring, before I started Optifast, it wasn't exactly high on my list, particularly when it came to meat/chicken/fish/pork, mayo, olive oil, butter, etc. On the meat, I  used to just go to the market, point out to the butcher what I wanted, have it wrapped up, and take it home and eat it. I might order at the deli counter, say, 1 lb. of sliced deli meat, and then just shove some into a white bread sandwich, with no idea how much I was putting in there, and then slather mayo on it. I did this for years and years -- heck, my whole life. I "eyeballed" everything, and indeed when I cook for my husband, I'm at the point where I sometimes don't rely on measuring spoons or cups at all. Everything is done by taste. So now that I have to really, really closely monitor what I eat, I find myself in unfamiliar territory. But you have to start somewhere.

I have now started measuring everything -- and I mean everything -- that I eat. Subsequently, my portions are much, much smaller now, and I immediately noticed this when I saw it in my bowl. It made me want more. But then I remembered what Millie said about having smaller bowls and plates. So I did a little rummaging in my kitchen, and found that I actually had some. And where are they from? The thrift store! Had I been using them? No!

If you go to Target or Walmart (or any chain like that) or even a department store (where my normal set is from), take a look at the size of those bowls. They are huge! So are the plates. Back in the good old days, everything was "right-sized" -- and understandably, obesity rates in the U.S. were much lower. At the thrift store, you are going to find those small bowls and smaller plates. Sure, some are in bad shape, but the ones I found are beautiful and in great shape. I went back recently to get the smaller spoons. Those are critical. I am "forced" to take smaller bites, and that slows me down. Left to my own devices, I'm a speed demon when it comes to eating. I already have smaller forks so that's covered. They slow me down too.

I don't necessarily believe we have to religiously measure for the rest of our lives -- rather, we will reach a point where we can "eyeball" pretty accurately. But certainly at this early stage, I am not taking any chances. However, the smaller bowls, plates and utensils will be a mainstay for me. I'll simply have two sets in the house. Which is no problem. You gotta do what you gotta do to stay on track.

I encourage you to follow this advice from my clinic. From my experience so far, it really works. My weight is holding nice and steady -- I may go a pound or two up or a pound or two down, depending on the day. But for the most part, I remain on average where I want to be: 157 lbs. (a few pounds under my 160 lb. goal). So I'm very pleased right now. Which is great. So pop into a thrift store the next time you see one. It's worth a look. You'll be glad you did!



1 comment:

  1. This is great advice Melissa. I don't need it yet, but I am bookmarking and making a mental note of this for 3 months from now. Thanks so much.
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete