Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Screwing My Head On Straight

"Stranger Here" by Jen Larsen
I received a message this evening from my Facebook friend, Katie, who was very worried about me after reading my last post. I assured her that I am much, much better today, not only physically but more importantly, mentally. As you know, I've been quite candid here about my budding obsession with the scale; my fear of gaining weight; my nervousness over exceeding my calorie limit for the day; just a host of things that I have never had "plague" me before. I believe in being honest about my situation, and I know I am not the only one who has dealt with these problems after losing a significant amount of weight.

I want everyone to know that I am actively involved in talk therapy, and I definitely encourage anyone wrestling with these demons and others to do so themselves. I will not let them get the best of me -- I can assure you of that. In this case, awareness, early on, is half the battle. Next comes swift, proactive steps to nip the problem in the bud. I actually believe in a "team" approach to my situation: working with my therapist; my nutritionist on my diet; my doctor; and of course relying on family and friends for support. When you gather these individuals around you, you can get at the issue from different angles. And that leads to successful problem resolution.

Today I received a copy of a highly-praised book that was just published: "Stranger Here" by Jen Larsen. I cannot wait to read it. It is described on the back cover as the "brutally honest, surprisingly hilarious story of one woman's journey from one extreme of the weight spectrum to the other, and of the unexpected emotional chaos it created." All I had to see was "unexpected emotional chaos" and I was hooked! Although I have not read the book yet, I think it's something you might consider reading if you are going through an Optifast program to lose a significant amount of weight. We do change -- not just on the outside, but on the inside as well. And for me, particularly because I have never dieted before, I am now dealing with a host of issues I never anticipated when I started.

So I am feeling stronger today, and of course moving ahead. I see my thyroid doctor tomorrow, then I go to the clinic to meet with my nutritionist, get weighed and attend class. I'm looking forward to it. Actually, I always enjoy my time at the clinic! Thank you friends for your care and concern. Together we can do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment