Monday, March 4, 2013

Back To The Hair, Again

Well, I've been putting it off for months -- way too long, I might add -- but I've got to face it: My roots have to be highlighted and I need a haircut. Period. So I've made an appointment and I'm scheduled for two days from now. I'm absolutely petrified about what my stylist is going to say, actually what my stylist is going to do to help me "fix" this thin-ed out hair problem. In a prior post I noted that after my last visit to the salon, I washed my hair the next morning and found a good deal of it was gone. I just can't go through that again.

The Biotin I am taking every morning is helping -- I can see hairs growing back. But there's no denying the fact that I've lost a good deal of my hair. I'm not bald by any stretch, but I really notice it. I am wondering if I should have it cut in a special way. Right now it is all one length and I primarily wear it up. Perhaps my stylist can cut some bangs or layers in...oh, I don't know. I'll just let him assess the damage and proceed as he may. Fortunately, I have been going to see him for years and he knows my hair very well. And I'm sure he has clients with ultra-fine hair. I'm not the first one. We'll just face the problem "head on" (pun intended) and take care of it.

Looking back, I do wish I had started in on the Biotin from the very beginning. If you have not started Optifast yet, or have just begun your Optifast journey, get this vitamin as soon as possible and start taking no more than 2,000 mg/day. Ask your clinic for other suggestions -- they may have some other things to try. Now, I don't want to scare you or freak you out. Never forget we are all different and our bodies respond differently to the products. Just because I am having this problem doesn't mean you will. Talk with your clinic, maybe talk with your stylist to get tips and advice on how to manage the possibility of hair loss. Be prepared, whether it ultimately happens or not.

Of course, I'll update you on how everything goes. I'll even "submit" to a picture -- I'll have my husband take it. That is, if I'm not angry about the result (wink, wink). Yes, I'm nervous but this has to be done. It's way past due. So we'll see what happens. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

  1. Right there with 'ya. My hair has thinned quite a bit in the last month. I need to go get a cut/color done too. My hairdresser is also a friend and she was the one that told me to expect the hair loss since she has had other clients on similar weight loss plans - Optifast or not - the rapid weight loss will cause this. Back when she told me that I foolishly believed that it wasn't going to happen to me. Ha! Anyway, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had NO idea about this when I started -- and didn't really pay attention until 7 months had passed. Even then, I never thought to mention it to my dietitian until 2 more months after that. That's when I heard about the Biotin...I'll keep you updated on how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. My hair is finally starting to grow back, slow but sure. Our clinic said 5,000 mg/day is fine. They even make biotin pills in that specific dosage (got mine at Target). I've been taking that religiously and everybody comments about how much my hair is coming back. It's about time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your previous post about hair loss, I went out and bought Biotin and have been taking it ever since (but it is a much lower dosage).
    I know I won't be on the fast nearly as long as you but my hair is fine anyway so I am a little freaked out. I am going to up my dosage now. Thanks again for the tip!
    ~ Kim

    ReplyDelete