Saturday, March 9, 2013

No Regrets!

The Evil Eye
Even though I'm sick, I had to go to the grocery store, and I unfortunately encountered an Optifast "naysayer." I guess I shouldn't be surprised. They are out there, and there's nothing I can say or do to convince them that it was a great program for me, and I was medically supervised, and I am now armed with the information I need to lead a healthy, happy life. In the past, I was sometimes embarrassed that I was doing the program, didn't want people knowing, and would just talk to family, clinic friends and Internet compatriots about it. But I have decided I am not going to let this person's comments upset me. I need to be feeling good about myself, proud of what I have accomplished, and confident about my choices. There should be no shame in doing Optifast.

But yes, I'll get honest. I did go into the store feeling very good about myself, and came out feeling deflated. I've always struggled with a low self-esteem, and there are lots of reasons for it. I'm in therapy, in part, because of it. I allowed this person's judgement to hold sway over my opinion of myself. I handed the power right over to them. And I hate it when I do this. I worked my tail off to successfully complete my program. It wasn't easy. Actually, it was extremely frustrating at times and sometimes very difficult. But I made it. And I'm slowly -- oh so slowly -- getting into the groove of maintenance. The clinic is proud of me, my husband is so proud of me, my online friends are proud of me.

So why am I sitting here feeling crappy about myself?

Well, I need to go back to what my therapist and people in various support groups have told me. This person has the problem, not me. Who knows what's behind it. Probably a host of things. Jealousy probably ranks right up there at the top. I don't understand that nasty monster so much, because I tend to focus on picking myself apart, not others. I just don't engage in that, it's foreign to me. I try to always be positive, and complimentary and supportive when I can. Maybe I'm "too nice." But it's just the way I'm wired, and I guess I owe deep thanks to my parents. Who knows.

Now, I can spend a good deal of time trying to analyze why this person wanted to bring me down (which is a knee-jerk reaction of mine), or I can dismiss the hurtful comments and go about my day. Cold aside, today I look great, I feel great. I wish I could say I "love me" but I'm still working on that. I'll get there -- someday. This is my time to shine. I've earned it. No apologies, no regrets, Melissa. Be proud of yourself. Many, many others are proud of you. Join them. No regrets!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment