Thursday, March 28, 2013

Preventing Regain: The Facts

Just the facts, Ma'am!
I love my clinic. I cannot speak highly enough about the intelligent, compassionate, energetic staff that have held my hand through this whole Optifast program process. They are experts in what they do, skilled, hard-working professionals with outstanding credentials. When they tell us they are "Obsessed -- With Your Success!" they really mean it. Everything is covered, all the tools are given to us to succeed in keeping our weight off for good. I am truly blessed to be in Columbus and under the protective wing of the Central Ohio Nutrition Center, Inc. (CONCI)

I had a fabulous session with Kathy and she went over some key information that I have been very, very interested in since I embarked on my Optifast journey. We went over a solid, national study conducted by Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island and Rena Wing, psychiatrist and founder of the National Weight Control Registry. The study, entitled, "Stop Regain" looked at 3,000 people in this National Weight Control Registry who have lost, on average, 66 lbs. (through different approaches) and maintained an average 51 lb. loss after 10 years.

And here, folks, is how they do it:

1. Track food intake. (MyFitnessPal or similar works well.)
2. Count calories. (Ditto above.)
3. Follow a low calorie, low fat diet. Consume less than 1,800 calories a day.
4. Eat breakfast often. Whole grains and low-fat dairy included.
5. Limit the amount you eat out. Less than three times a week. Fast food less than one time per week.
6. Eat similar foods regularly.
7. Exercise 1 hour/day.
8. Watch less than 10 hours of TV a day.
9. Weigh at least once a week.

I can tell you I am doing everything except #7 (which the clinic is helping me on) and my weight has held almost dead even at 157 lbs. (when I weigh in every morning) for two months. This works. If you are serious about keeping your weight off after your significant investment in Optifast, follow this list. Sure, there are going to be days when you might deviate. That's to be expected. Just plan for those, but keep these things in the forefront of your mind.

Now, wonderful Connie on our Facebook Optifast Chat Support page added her own thing to the list: Believe in yourself. I just love that and I'm going to make that number 10. I also have been thinking this morning of some things I might add too. Journaling/blogging is right up there for me. Having a rock-solid support system of family and friends (face-to-face and online!) is critical.

CONCI also emphasizes quickly "putting the brakes on" if your weight goes up by 5 lbs. Also, be accountable -- go to the clinic regularly! Weigh in, talk with the staff, attend the educational classes, and attend the monthly maintenance class. As you know, I stay very, very close to the clinic and take advantage of everything they offer us. I will not allow myself to stray. I'm like a "new-born" and I'm not ready to walk on my own yet.

I'm feeling great today, now that I am armed with this new piece of information. My new goal is to get this exercise "thing" going. It's challenging for me, just like the full fasting was. But I'm making steps. I'm a work in progress. I like that. Have a great day all. The weekend is right around the corner!


No comments:

Post a Comment