Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It's Not About Clothing Size!

An "ideal" mannequin?
I had a wonderful time at the department store clothes shopping the other day. I have held back on purchasing nicer clothes because I did not know which size I would ultimately settle into, and I'm frugal and didn't want to waste a lot of money. As I was losing weight, I primarily went to Walmart or Target (and occasionally the thrift store). But I'm really feeling comfortable with my body at this juncture and I figured it was time to make an "investment" in some much nicer things.

The first thing I had to ascertain was my size. Now, as we know, designers size their clothes differently i.e. one may label something size 10, but it's actually closer to a size 12, the other may have garments sized at 14, but they really fit like a size 12. So that makes it complicated when you are trying to figure out what your size actually is, and why I try not to say, "I'm size so and so." But for our purposes in this post, I'll just ballpark it: As of now, as far as slacks go, I fit very comfortably in a size 12. In tops and sweaters, I'm a size large.

You most likely want to know what size I was before I started the Optifast program. As far as department store clothing goes, I was in the women's section purchasing size 2x, and I even had a few things in size 3x. I believe 2x translates into size 24, but I'm not sure. I get confused by all the numbers. Regardless, it's quite obvious I have shrunk considerably, and I'm now meandering through the "normal" sized clothing section at the department store.

At 5'6 inches, some might wonder if I should be in a smaller size to be at an "ideal" weight. But I really caution folks from drawing that conclusion. Here's why: I am that classic "big-boned" person. I know this term is flung around all the time, but it really is true. I have wide hips, and, how do I describe this, just big bones! There is really not a lot of body fat on me now, but my bone structure hasn't changed, obviously. Also, I have a "sway" back, which means my butt sticks out a little bit (which my husband loves) and that necessitates buying larger pants but having the waist altered.

I also want everyone to remember that the "average" size for American women is a size 14. It used to be a size 12, but I believe it has changed recently. This means some folks will be smaller, some will be larger, but most fall into the size 12-14 range. Now, this doesn't take into account petites, or those on the tall side. So this brings us to the core question: Should we really give a damn about clothing size at all? And I say, No!

I embarked on the Optifast program basically to achieve two things: a healthy BMI and a normal percentage of body fat. My cholesterol has always been on the higher side because of genetics, but that was important to me as well. My blood pressure has always been excellent, and remains so to this day. But I was in trouble with the BMI and body fat when I started. At the GEM I had in January, my body fat was 25%. The "ideal" would be 22%, but we are very satisfied with where it is. Goal accomplished. And the upshot: Melissa is a size 12.

I have no idea what I would look like at a size 10, 8 or 6. Healthy? Who knows. Proportionate? I have no idea. Some people my height could look just fine in those smaller sizes. But me, in my opinion, I look healthy and dare I say it -- I look good! Come to think of it, I was always a size 12 for as long as I remember. In my teens, throughout my 20s, when I got married at age 34. Even when I worked out 5 days a week. It never changed. I'm a size 12. And folks, most importantly, I'm happy and at peace with it.

I guess I would say that, like the scale, try not to get too wrapped up in the "numbers." You've seen me struggle so much with the scale. I'm much, much better with the clothing size. We've got to ease up on ourselves. Not push ourselves to get to some ridiculous number that is not healthy for us, we cannot maintain, and is ultimately where we don't belong anyway. In my experience, you'll settle quite comfortably in a place that is good for you.

I am Melissa. Not Melissa, 157 lbs., size 12. This is what I try to remember. Numbers. Ah, how annoying. Yes, we need you, but oh, you can hold so much power over us. But in my clothing closet, I have no problem ignoring you. And that, my friends, is so liberating!

No comments:

Post a Comment