Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ah-Choo!

Well, I have picked up a cold. Yuck! My body is achy, and my throat is so sore, my nose is running and I have a slight pain in my chest. Classic signs my body has been "invaded." Great. You know, when I was Optifasting, I never got a cold or the flu. Not once. I felt great, for the most part -- except when my sodium level got too low, but we fixed that with the addition of a daily pickle. No, I was never sick. And now...pass the Kleenex!

I've got everything set up on a table next to me: box of tissue, bag of sugar-free Halls cough drops, mug of hot tea, and a Limonata drink I made, on the advice of my nutritionist, Millie. The recipe is easy (and the drink will keep you in ketosis if you are fasting):

HOMEMADE LIMONATA
1 lemon
Sparkling mineral water (i.e. San Pellegrino)
1 tsp. sugar substitute (i.e. Splenda or Truvia)

Cut lemon in half and squeeze into glass of mineral water. Drop lemon in glass, add 1 tsp. sugar and stir.

In addition to the Limonata, Millie told me to have two other sources of citrus per day: a clementine and 1/2 grapefruit. I can't find the clementines, so I got some small mandarin oranges. I'm not a big fan of grapefruit, but I had my husband pick some up for me anyway. I can get it down at breakfast.

Of course one of the best things to do is sleep. Colds have to run their course, after all. So I've bundled myself up in a flannel nightgown and thick socks, and I'm going to go back up to bed shortly. Oh, how I do hate being sick! I hope this passes soon. The weather is starting to get nicer and I want to be outside. Oh well. I'll get over this soon and be back up on my feet. Well, back up to bed I go. Nighty nite!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment