Friday, August 31, 2012

The Slippery Slope: Am I Headed For A Relapse?

As you know, I had a clinic-approved meal out when I was on my vacation earlier this month. No, I did not gain any weight and actually lost my regular amount. Ketosis remained intact. However, a problem of sorts has cropped up. Since this meal, I have found when my husband brings his take-out dinners home, I cannot stop watching him eat, and craving a bite of his food. Because I have been restricting his diet to lo-cal dishes and cut down his carbs, he indulges on these nights with hamburgers or pizza or Asian food. All a big time no-no for me.

Bless his heart, he has asked me not to torture myself and encouraged me to leave the room and he will call me when he is done. But I become so engrossed in his food that it's hard to break away. I did manage to go upstairs this week and change the sheets on the bed. That got my mind off of it. But I'm flustered because I never really had this reoccurring problem before. Did I shoot myself in the foot by eating out in the first place? Is this why I am struggling and facing a threat of a relapse?

At this juncture, I will congratulate those who have been true to the fast and strongly encourage them to stick with it. For me, putting food in my mouth has apparently opened up a Pandora's Box full of head games. And I really don't like it. For those who have cheated or had a clinic-approved meal like me, I wonder if you are having the same problem that I am. My commitment to the full fast is being tested. I honestly didn't expect this.

Now, I can be a tough cookie, and I've been on this program for over five months. I still have a ways to go, but I've got the routine down pat and I like it. So I think I can overcome this problem and hopefully it will be temporary. But I guess the lesson I am taking away from this is don't take compliance for granted and take care with that "first bite." It could very well bite you back!

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, you are not alone. I've been having WAY more of a struggle since having a few bites of food at my friend's wedding. I've been thinking a lot about why and will post my thoughts soon, but I just wanted to let you know that it's not just you, and WE WILL OVERCOME! You really are a tough cookie, so I know you can get through it!!! -Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so important to get down to your honest feelings about this and ask tough questions. This isn't an easy program at all, but I'm so proud of you for addressing these nagging questions. I have no doubt that you will not go into relapse. In fact, I think this experience is making you stronger and more sure of what you want than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I awoke this morning feeling good and committed. I'm so glad I have a place to write down my thoughts and concerns. I treasure your support. Onward and upward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lasted five days, right after the headache went away and I started feeling really good, I slipped up and had a few bites of real food ( Very hard to cook for a family while not being allowed to eat). Anyways now that I had food the optifast dont seem to be satisfying anymore and Im still getting hungry which didnt happen before I ate the food. Anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

    ReplyDelete