Thursday, August 23, 2012

Approaching A Milestone!

The Big 5-0!
Thrilled with my weigh-in yesterday. I lost 3.7 lbs., which shows I can go on vacation, have a simple meal (as prescribed by the clinic), and come back and not gain weight! Now at 192 lbs., I am ever-so-close to the 50 lbs. lost marker. Hooray! At our clinic, this is when a new photo is taken and measurements are calculated to show inches lost. Frankly, I can't wait.

So this means I will soon have 30 lbs. left to lose and I will reach my goal. I can't quite believe it. Looking back, it seems like time has truly flown by. Perhaps this is because I'm older. I'm not sure about that, but it is like I started the program a few weeks ago, not 5 1/2 months ago. The Optifast products are a normal part of my day now, and I like it. Strangely, I can't imagine a day without them -- which may or may not be a good thing!

It may be time for some shopping again, this time for tops. But I'm holding off because Fall is coming, and everything on sale right now is either heavily discounted summer items or marked-up fall collection clothes. I did a quick inventory of my closet and all of my sweaters are going to be huge. Yes, yes, this is cause for celebration, but honestly I still haven't donated my "fat" clothes to Salvation Army yet, and as of now, I have no room for anything new.

Why have I held off from getting rid of the clothes that don't fit? Well, some of them are quite lovely -- and I hate to see them go. But the deeper issue is I am still worried I might be one of those people who gains all the weight back. Even though I am rock-solid in my commitment to Optifast's maintenance plan. I feel like I have to store all of my over-sized things in a plastic bin marked "fat clothes" and shove it somewhere in the attic (making sure to add mothballs of course). Sure, maybe it will just gather dust, but it will be there in case of a relapse...

But wait.

This is the kind of thinking that might be counter-productive. Might actually undermine my maintenance efforts. Perhaps I am forgetting that I need to let go of the past and instead stay in "today." I've talked about the gift of the "precious present" before. Today my body is looking great and it will only get better. Who wants outdated clothes from past seasons anyway? This is a new "me" emerging. And I like her.

So anyway, another celebration on my Optifast journey is soon in order. Another chance to take a deep breath and smile -- knowing that I may have been on a slower road to weight loss due to a poor thyroid, but I'm getting to goal. Again, thanks to all who have been supporting me along the way. I dedicate this milestone to you!  

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that other voice came into the conversation about keeping the larger clothes. As I was reading your post, that's exactly what I thought ... keeping the larger clothes only makes it easier to fit back into them one day. I, too, had a hard time seeing all the clothes that don't fit any more. I have spent a pretty penny on my wardrobe over the years and it's hard to let go of things, even simple things like Levi's. Yet, the way I look at it, those things are part of the past and not part of a future that I want to be present in. Letting go is hard, but also very freeing.

    ReplyDelete