Friday, August 24, 2012

Danger Will Robinson!

Oh no. Something very odd and frankly, quite concerning happened this evening. It's Friday and I didn't want to cook, so my husband brought home take-out Thai food. Shrimp Pad Thai to be precise. The minute I smelled it, fascination took root. And then suddenly I had a dangerous thought: "Well Melissa, you had that meal out and didn't gain any weight, so maybe you can have a small bite of his food and won't have to worry about it." No!

One of my worst fears is threatening to crop up -- the fear that eating a meal, whether prescribed or not, might lead to a relapse in my program. Thankfully, my husband laughed at me when I asked, kidding, if I could have a bite. He wouldn't let me near something that loaded with salt and carbs. But the issue is that I asked. What if he had said yes?

At this juncture, I will say to those who have been 100% compliant in their programs: don't change a thing! Stay on course and do not deviate. To those who have had meals out (hopefully ones allowed by the clinic), I say: watch out for your thinking in the weeks that follow! I find myself in a puzzling situation right now. I had that meal out and felt very comfortable returning to my full fast routine. Heck, I am thrilled about it. But suddenly this crops up. Why? I don't like it!

Perhaps I am taking for granted how relatively easy it has been for me to be compliant. I have been resting on my laurels, so to speak, and not remaining alert. I am going to strengthen my commitment, particularly because I am approaching the 50 lbs. lost milestone. I don't need to sabotage my work. I think "Expect the Unexpected" will be my new motto these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment