Tuesday, August 21, 2012

When The Diet Works But The Dieter Doesn't

Love yourself!
I've heard a few stories lately about people who have been through Optifast and lost their weight, gained it back, and blame the Optifast program. To this I say, "Hold on a minute! Is it Optifast's fault or something tied your own devices?" Everyone who has been on Optifast knows it works. The question is: did you do your work during and after the product consumption phase?

I'd like to re-run an excerpt from a piece I found on Yahoo written by Ms. Cara Surdi:

"It has been 6 years since I did the Optifast and yes, I have gained it all back. The reason why I gained the weight back wasn't because the Optifast diet didn't work, it was because of myself. I lost sight of the importance of exercise and eating right. I gained a little here and there and wasn't too concerned. I would love to do Optifast again, but you really have to mentally prepare yourself. You have to be determined and not allow anything get in your way. For those of you struggling on any diet, it isn't the diet's fault that you didn't lose weight or keep it off; it is about self-love and dedication to living a healthier lifestyle. I think we all know this, but do not like to be held accountable for it."

I really like the part about self-love and dedication to a new lifestyle as the keys to keeping off the weight you shed with Optifast. I mean, it's pretty easy to think, hey, if I just limit carbs, fats and sugars I'll maintain a healthy weight. But in my opinion, that's not going far enough. There's more work to do. 

When I think about self-love as it pertains to my eating, it means embracing a new eating habit that nurtures my body and my well-being. This is much different from eating for "comfort," which typically drove me towards sweets and foods loaded with fat. "Nurturing" to me now means healthy, varied menus and portion control. Honestly, I do feel better when I eat this way. My body is happy. And so am I. I really like the Optifast program because all of the "bad" things are stripped out of my diet, and I feel so good right now. I want that to continue. I know if I stick to a good maintenance plan, this feeling will continue.

And then there is dedication to this new way of living and eating. I'm convinced this has to come from within, and in my case, it is something that I think I will have to continuously focus on until it becomes a comfortable habit. As I've noted previously, diets are foreign to me and food indulgences were something I never limited. There is some serious work to be done here, so I'm preparing myself mentally now. I've heard so much about people losing that dedication we need to be successful in keeping the weight off. I think I can stave this off by putting first things first -- eating wisely every day. It takes unwavering commitment. I can find that if I try.

Obviously, maintenance is on my mind again, even though I still have some months to go on the program. I guess I never stray too far away from it. Which is probably a good thing. No, I don't want to get too tied up in the future. But some things seem to have their place on the back burner, and this is one of them.  

3 comments:

  1. You make some excellent points. This does take work, not only now in the weight-loss phase but also in maintenance. When people gain the weight back, it isn't because it just happens. There are things that contribute to it. When I think back to other weight loss methods and what happened when I started putting the weight back on, I have significant responsibility for both the things I was doing and NOT doing to contribute to that. This is a lifelong journey and we do have to change habits. Just like you, I am very willing to do what is in front of me to be as successful as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa! Very well said, and I couldn't agree more. Prior to starting Optifast, I read about the "cons" of the program. Of course, the so-called weight gain from Optifast was listed as a con. Being a part of a Optifast clinic, I use the program as it was intended to be used . . . with a full comprehensive approach that includes counseling, educational support and behavior modification. During my orientation to the program, the dietician couldn't of stressed the 'Maintenence' program more. She was key to note that this was the golden nugget of the program, and necessary to succeed. Returning to "real food" once off the program is not what makes you gain weight. It is the simple fact that full success was not obtained because although the persons weight changed, their inner eating habits or poor education with portion control did not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is awe-inspiring. I have found many new things. Your way of staging is also fascinating. You have elected very incredible topic. I appreciated it. Optifast diet

    ReplyDelete