Sunday, August 5, 2012

Different Countries, Different Programs

One confusing thing about the Optifast program is the products are sold in different countries -- and consumption guidelines may differ significantly. Even the product choices available vary. In Australia, for instance, Optifast offers shakes, soups, bars and desserts. In Canada, only shakes are available. In the U.S., people on the Optifast 70 plan are limited to shakes; people on the Optifast 800 plan or an Opti 70/800 combo plan can choose from shakes, soups and bars. Subsequently, this makes it impossible for individuals all around the world to follow the same program.

Some other things to consider: There are Optifast 70, 600, 700, 800 and 900 products. Not all countries carry them. These products differ according to calorie content. Under the Australian plan, I believe participants have three products a day and two cups of vegetables. I do not know what type of vegetables are allowed. In the U.S., full fasters could be limited to 5 products, 6 products, or perhaps 7 products a day. It varies, based on blood work and health issues.

There is also the Optifast "partial" plan, that allows participants to have one meal of "real" food a day. Our clinics in the U.S. provide sample menus to follow. They are very simple. Different clinics may have slightly different menus for the meals. Some clinics may allow individuals to step off the full fast and switch to the partial plan for a time. Clinics may also allow those on the full fast to have a "special occasion" meal, thus breaking the fast for a day. Again, this varies from clinic to clinic, and also depends upon the individual.

Now, one thing that I personally find very concerning is the Optifast products can be obtained through Internet sites like Ebay and Amazon. This opens the door for anyone in the world to buy the products and start the program without medical supervision. Of course, it's one thing if you are enrolled in an Optifast clinic and choose to get your products through Amazon because they are cheaper. But it is quite another matter if you just order the products and try to consume them without any knowledge of how they work and the consumption guidelines you must follow.

Of course this is just my opinion, and remember I am writing from the United States, and I go to a clinic in Columbus, Ohio. We have mandatory guidelines for weigh-ins and dietitian and doctor visits every week. We must also have blood draws every two weeks. There are strongly suggested menus to follow. My clinic puts great emphasis on long-term success, as taking the products is actually fairly easy when compared to a lifetime of maintenance behavior and eating style. The vast majority of people who lose weight on a liquid/very low calorie diet gain the weight right back in less than five years. They want to reverse this trend. And instruct us accordingly.

Also, as you know I have the thyroid problem and I feel as if I have to fight for every pound lost. I am doing the full fast, and strict compliance is very, very important to me, so I write from that perspective (if you haven't noticed already!). So I may sound "preachy" from time to time, although that is not my intention. I will say I feel an incredible sense of accomplishment from embracing a "product only" lifestyle, and honestly it hasn't been too hard. I am lucky perhaps. And do remember the clinic has given me a green light for dining out with my husband at some point this month, and that is in the back of my mind.

Absolutely, there are some things we do all share. Struggles with cravings and cheats come to mind! Side effects from the products, compliance issues, emotional obstacles, and the challenge of many other lifestyle changes one must make while on the Optifast program are similar. There are many things we have in common. Just remember when it comes to your program, there is no one set way to do this. Keep that in mind to avoid confusion.    

No comments:

Post a Comment