Tuesday, August 7, 2012

So You Want To Try Optifast

Should I try it?
If you're like me, you've been unhappy about your weight for awhile. And you find yourself at that place where you know something must be done to bring your weight under control, hopefully for once and for all. From whatever source, you hear about the program called "Optifast." I knew about it because my brother did it two decades ago. I know in my case, I liked that word "fast." I wanted to lose my weight as quickly and as painlessly as possible. So I started doing a little research. And when I saw on Optifast's Facebook page that the average person loses 50 lbs. in 18-24 weeks, I was hooked.

Who wouldn't want to lose weight that quickly? It's an instant draw. A miracle. No other weight loss program, to the best of my knowledge, comes close to this projection. But is Optifast right for you? Well, that is a question only you can answer. What I can do is share with you some of the knowledge I have gained as I come closer to my five month mark. It may or may not be helpful in your decision-making process, but I'll just offer some of it up.

Before I decided to do Optifast, my husband had suggested I go to a generic nutritionist to help me lose weight. But I knew I needed a good, structured program with the food choices made for me. I needed food removed from the equation so I could focus on the behavioral issues that drive my overeating. Optifast provided that. Real food is removed. And in the United States, the clinics offer classes addressing both the behavioral issues and weight maintenance. So both of my needs were met.

The Optifast Team
I also learned from my research that Optifast, by removing food and significantly reducing your calorie intake, impacts your body in significant ways. More often than not, adjustments have to be made to maintain good health. This includes possibly adding potassium or sodium supplements to your diet; taking gall bladder medication to avoid sludge build-up; taking fiber every day to avoid constipation; decreasing existing medications, etc. Most of these potential areas of concern are identified by regular blood work. And this is where some sort of physician oversight is required. So remember that if you start on Optifast, you will need to see a physician regularly.

Cha-ching!
Very important to know is the cost of the program. There are the product costs and the doctor costs. This is not a cheap program. I will have invested thousands of dollars before I am through. Honestly, I didn't think this entirely through when I started, and don't advocate taking my approach. Go over your finances and see if this is something you can afford. Keep in mind that there is no firm date when you will reach your goal. The scale fluctuates. Cheats set you back, you have to get back into ketosis, and you'll be on the program longer.  Also, if you are on the Optifast "partial" plan, you will lose weight more slowly. I know that I'll be on the program longer than I initially thought. This could very well be the case for you too. So plan accordingly.

Lastly, I have found going on a primarily liquid diet has radically changed my lifestyle. This may not be the case for you, but I have had to make adjustments to how I spend my days and evenings. Now, my life revolved around food, so perhaps this is to be expected. But I have had to be innovative. You might encounter this, you might not. Just prepare yourself as best you can for possible lifestyle changes.

As I think of more "Lessons Learned" I'll post them. I'm here to help!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you ... the research has to be there before doing the program. But, like you, I wanted the power of taking choice out of the matter with the food so that I could clearly move forward to a healthier way of life without anything clouding my judgement. Optifast has been such a lovely surprise to me, something I am doing that I never thought I could!

    ReplyDelete