Tuesday, May 1, 2012

One Foot In Front Of The Other

As you know, I have a terrible metabolic rate. Thanks genes. This means I must incorporate a good deal of exercise into my Optifast program in order to see significant losses each week. At the clinic they told me I will need to be getting some form of exercise for an hour five times a week -- preferably cardio plus circuit training (weights). I was also told to start slowly -- ease up to that routine over time. I was glad to hear that, as I fell out of my exercise regimen a long, long time ago and I was initially quite intimidated by the new schedule. 

Week 1, I signed up with the local rec center. I tried to get on the treadmill but got dizzy after five minutes, so I stopped. I know now that my body was still adjusting to the Optifast program. By Week 2, I was able to do the treadmill at a slow walking pace for 20 minutes three days a week. Now at the end of Week 5, I am slowly increasing the speed each time and I am up to 25 minutes three times a week.

I have not started the weights yet for several reasons. First, I tend to be tired after the treadmill. I don't want to push myself too much at this early juncture or I might get frustrated and give up. Second, I know that muscle weight can add pounds and I am frightened about not losing any weight. This, of course, is ridiculous. I am going to end up with saggy skin if I don't tone my body. And I do not want that. But I am only losing about 2 lbs. a week right now and I don't want to give that up. So I'm torn. We'll see what they say at the clinic this week.

Getting -- and staying -- motivated has been tricky. Yes, I always feel so much better after my exercise, however I can make up excuses for not going i.e. I'm tired, I have to clean, I don't have time, etc. etc. I am trying to push through this. Trying to keep in the back of my mind that each step on that treadmill is a step towards my goal weight.

As we move into summer, I may be able to add in some water aerobics. I think if I can vary my types of exercise, that might help me with the motivation problem. I am also cognizant that I must work up to exercising five days a week. It seems so unreachable right now. But I'm a trooper and I won't give up!




2 comments:

  1. Are you on full fast? My exercise consultant told me I could not weight train until I was taking in more calories. She said that I was not going to be able to make new muscle with the low calories, and that I would only serve to damage my muscles. How many calories are you on?

    Sounds like you are doing great, just take it easy and give yourself the credit you deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to echo what was already said to you ... you're doing great! I know from my experience that the numbers on the scale when we're losing has meant a lot to me, too, as I've shared with you before. It's fantastic that you're taking such good care of yourself and I can tell you that I get inspiration from you.

    ReplyDelete