Friday, May 11, 2012

Some Bumps In The Road

Cheats
Yes, Optifast is a very strict program and I have hit some ruts along my journey. My biggest one was purchasing a box of the Optifast bars. Peanut butter chocolate, to be exact. After my first bite, I was addicted to them. Instead of using them as they are intended -- as a meal replacement -- I would eat them at night on top of my five meals that make up my program. I saw them as a late-night "treat" -- quite similar to the sweets I would binge on late into the evening.

Fortunately, I only bought one box of seven bars. I didn't eat them at one sitting (some have done this), rather spaced them out over a 10 day period of time. But each bar has 160 calories and that can have an impact on your weight loss. I came clean to the dietician and I'm glad I did. She told me not to worry and we have learned from the experience that bars will not be a part of my program.

Gratefully, I have not had any non-Optifast food since starting the program. Oh, I've been tempted. There is something about the smell of my husband's pizza the other week that drove me nuts. Wouldn't a bite taste so good! And then he had a flaky, buttery, beautiful croissant from a local bakery that mesmerized me. I begged him to eat it quickly. Looking at it was torture. So it appears that sights and smells are the triggers. I am not hungry. To avoid these potential cheats, I know I must remain "on guard" at all times.




64 oz. a day!


My second struggle has been getting my 64 oz. of water in a day. I started off strong and diligent, but have since declined and I know I really need to correct this. Drinking that water is a requirement and aids the weight loss. Most if not all diets call for lots of water and our program is no different. I always have my 20 oz. water bottle next to me, but get busy at work, or when I am at home, get focused on the Internet or watching TV. Next thing I know it's bedtime and I only drank 40 oz. for the day. This must change.






No more couch potato!



And the third problem -- and it's a big one -- is getting my 30 minutes of exercise in five days a week. It sounds so simple; it is so simple. So why am I not doing it? Oh, I have lots of "reasons" like I'm tired or I'm too busy. These are a cover-up for what is really going on: I'm lazy. Over the past 10 years I have grown sedentary, one of the top reasons for obesity. I never thought I would become this complacent, but here I am. I do manage to get to the gym two times a week, but I could do more. I need to "own" this. And do something about it. Especially because I am only losing 2-3 lbs. per week and could potentially lose more if I just folded in some good work-outs.

I have decided to go easy on myself right now because identifying the problems is half the battle. But some action is needed if I am to reach my goal.

1 comment:

  1. I am there with you on the water thing. And I have discovered that if you don't get it in, there's a horrible, ugly side effect that can be extremely painful. I won't say it here so that I don't gross anybody out, but it's something the clinic warns against. All I can say is the water is very, VERY important!!

    ReplyDelete