Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Stair Stepper

I had my biannual visit with my thyroid doctor today. He shared a wealth of information regarding weight loss for those on Optifast with low metabolic rates. If you have a low metabolic rate (mine is 1330) as opposed to a "normal"  metabolic rate of 1850, you may be noticing that you are not dropping as much weight per week as others are. Which is frustrating. But such is our situation.

Our weight loss chart will typically look like stairs: a loss then some stabilization, a loss then some stabilization. Others without our condition will have a steady "arc" going downwards. On the plus side, we will see a significant loss in inches -- which means loose clothes! -- but on the other side, we must exercise patience as we work to achieve our pound loss goal.

I have had to adjust my initial expectations as to how long I will be on the Optifast program. Like many I'm sure, I thought I would be through things in just a few months (I started with 80 lbs. to lose). But my doctor has told me otherwise. I am not, however, to stop. He was the one who alerted me in the first place to my budding obesity. My progress has been wonderful and we know it will continue. But I am a little bit disappointed. By my rough calculations, I will still be on the Optifast products well into the Fall. Oh well.

If your weight loss has been quite slow and you have not had your thyroid levels checked, I personally recommend you have that done. I take medication for mine and it makes me feel good. The thyroid is the Master Gland, after all, and it behooves us to make sure it is functioning properly. If you do see a thyroid doctor, I also suggest that you let them know you are on the Optifast program. Always good to keep all of our doctors in the loop!

Today I will accept my body for what it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment