Sunday, May 20, 2012

Garden of Delights

It was beautiful outside today and I spent the day with my husband doing something I love to do: gardening. I purchased plants, we tilled the soil, and when we were done with everything we were sweaty, dirty and tired. It was wonderful.

At the nursery, I selected several vegetables. Three kinds of tomatoes, red peppers, cucumbers, broccoli and assorted hot peppers. These are for my husband -- the vegetable garden is his domain which is good, as I have no green thumb. For me, I selected herbs for my soups: dill, oregano and basil. And for the window boxes, I bought beautiful burgundy petunias, purple and green coleus and the filler "limelight." I have several more containers that need annuals, but I like to make my purchases over time. "Bulk" buying is a little too overwhelming for me.

The gardening gave me the opportunity to set my Optifast worrying aside and focus on a pleasurable project -- one that will delight us all throughout the summer. I had worked myself into quite a frenzy of frustration last night over my slow rate of weight loss. What a relief to set that aside and spend a sunny day with my husband doing something we enjoy so much.

I was thinking tonight how gardening and my weight loss have something in common: they take patience. Our tomatoes are only two inches tall -- but in time will grow into lush, fruit-bearing plants. I have many pounds to lose, but they will be dropping off over the summer, bit by bit, in tandem with the tomato plant growth. I need to be patient as I watch for these changes, knowing that the end result will be a glorious prize.

I am looking forward to warm evenings spent out on the patio, surrounded by living color. We are creating our own "living canvas" to enjoy in the months to come. Yes, it was a very, very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment