Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Rising To The Challenge

Run for the roses!
I have my first "test" coming up. My family is gathering at my brother's house on Saturday for a Kentucky Derby party. It will be catered -- lots of heavy, decadent appetizers and some desserts. This is my first time attending a social gathering since I started Optifast six weeks ago. Question: Am I prepared?

I brought it up at the clinic and they gave me some great advice for overcoming the challenge of being around others whilst they are celebrating with food. I am to have an Optifast shake right before I leave for the party. This will help with cravings, should they pop up when I arrive.

Also, I love iced coffee. I will bring an extra large one and slowly sip on that. I will have a pack of gum on hand to help. And I will bring a shake, soup and jello to have throughout the party.

Because the food will be for the most part displayed in the kitchen and on the bar, that area is off limits. I will need to go in there to prepare my soup and shake, but that can be done quickly. I am to go to the TV room and socialize there and of course watch the horse race. The important thing is spending time with my family -- I need to remember that.

Now, I am quite lucky that my family knows I am on Optifast and they are very supportive. As you know, my brother successfully completed the program in 1982. So they are rallying behind me. I told them to go ahead and gobble up everything they can get their hands on. Less temptation for me! There is sure to be some longing on my part, but as long as I expect that, and have the tools to get through the celebration, I should be fine!

Oh -- and my brother has a hot tub. And Saturday night we will see the largest full moon of the year. Two things not related to food to look forward to. Yes, I will take this test. And get an A!

No comments:

Post a Comment