Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Precious Present

In between my weigh-ins, I've been spending a lot of time fretting about what will happen to me when I come off the liquid products. I have ignored the very sound advice of "staying in the present." The past is history, the future is a mystery and if we jump backward or forward we miss out on all the wonderful things each day has to offer.

It is beautiful outside today and I have many reasons to feel grateful. I have lost almost 20 lbs. and I feel good. I am more flexible and my back doesn't hurt anymore. My clothes are loose -- I'm wearing belts now -- and although it's not time to begin buying new clothes, that day will come. I have adjusted to the Optifast program well. I am comfortable with my routine. And I like the products.

I have made many new friendships as I move through the program. I am in touch with not only people living in the United States but in other countries as well. These friendships are something I treasure deeply, and never expected when I decided to start on the Optifast program. I am not alone as I navigate my weight loss journey and I have people I can talk to about my triumphs (and occasional frustrations). And I can count on their support when things get rough.

I have time to look for healthy recipes to cook for my husband (my "taste test subject"), and to see if he likes them. I have subscribed to low-calorie cooking magazines and I am beginning to browse through them for ideas. I am starting to get excited about the possibility of creating a culinary masterpiece that is actually low in calories. I am going to purchase a 3-ring binder soon that I can use for a new collection of healthy recipes.

I have a loving, supportive husband who is graciously allowing me to spend the money on this effective, but expensive, weight management program. He loves me no matter what size I am, but he understands that I want to and need to be healthy again. He compliments me all the time and that makes me feel so good. I love him very, very much.

And of course I have my children -- my two Basset Hounds -- who keep me going with their undying affection and loyalty. They are alive and well today and that is a blessing. So I'm a happy woman today. And that's a wonderful thing. Yes, the present is indeed quite precious.


1 comment:

  1. You are so right - the present is such a beautiful gift. I, too, am guilty of thinking about the future and what will happen when I no longer have products in my daily diet. I am recognizing that there are many beautiful moments in this entire process and I want to be available to not only experience them but to treasure them. Thanks for sharing the bigger picture.

    ReplyDelete