Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Commitment

I have been reading on our Optifast Facebook page about people struggling to stick with the Optifast program. This isn't surprising -- it's extremely rigid. This is not something for those wanting instant results overnight. Patience is a necessity. Strong self-discipline is required. Willpower does come into play and in my opinion, there is one thing you must have: a 100% commitment to the program. No ifs, ands or buts.

This means no "cheating." Following the clinic's directions for drinking at least 64 oz. of water a day. Starting on an exercise program -- no matter how slow in the beginning. And attending the fantastic educational sessions that teach us how to eat healthy in the long run. Our entire relationship with food and living as we knew it is going to radically change. For the better, and in some cases, to save our lives. This is the end goal -- a healthy, new you forever -- that you must always keep in mind. If you don't, chances are you will fail.

Let me step back a bit and reflect on why I started all of this in the first place. Steadily gaining weight over a ten year period, I was now having back pain just from walking. I think we can all agree this is a major problem. If you can't walk ... well, warning signs should be going off loudly. Every year, my clothing size would increase. Sadly, I'd pack away all the beautiful clothes I bought the year before, and then go spend more money on a new wardrobe. What a waste.

I never exercised and spent my days and evenings sitting on my butt. What is one of the top reasons for obesity? A sedentary lifestyle. And I was living it. My bad cholesterol was through the roof. My favorite rings no longer fit. And then I got to the point where I could no longer look myself in the mirror. And that was when I'd ultimately had enough. Have you reached this "breaking point" like I did? In a way, it was a "rock bottom." I was sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. Things had to change.

My commitment to the Optifast program was born from this bottom. I made a promise to myself -- and tangentially to my husband and family -- that I was going to get a grip on this problem once and for all. Inside, I knew if I were going on a diet, I would need a routine and my food choices made for me. It was and is that simple. I needed support and supervision. But most of all, if I was going to succeed, I needed to be dedicated.

Optifast offers all of these needs except one: the dedication, the commitment. That has to come from me. No one can give it to me. I didn't have to dig too deep to find it. Others may have to. I've got other challenges -- I lose weight much more slowly than others. But regardless, I stay focused on the ultimate prize: the healthy me. I do not wish to go through this program again. I don't want to descend back into the dark place. Knowing this, I take my "One Day At A Time" approach, and it is working.

And let me leave you on a lighter note: ever add up all the money you are spending on Optifast products, doctor visits and lab work? Yikes! In this day and age, who can afford throwing away that money on something that can't work if you are not dedicated to it? Not me! Doesn't that keep you motivated just a little bit?

Optifast works. We know this. But only if directions are followed and we stay focused. You can do it!  






1 comment:

  1. Beautifully stated. Exactly how I felt as well. Your blog is so educational! :)

    ReplyDelete