Tuesday, May 8, 2012

More On The Numbers

The Scale
When I was growing up, I hated the scale. My mother weighed herself incessantly and I wanted no part of that obsessive behavior. When I encountered times I needed to be weighed, I stepped on and turned my back to the scale. I had no desire to see the number. Because deep down I knew it would probably wreck my month.

On the Optifast program, we are required to be weighed once a week. This serves two purposes. First, the clinic can monitor your losses to make sure they are healthy. And second, continued weight loss each week is a great motivator for people! Facing that scale is not a requirement, per say, but as you see the pounds slipping off it does help you stick with the program.

But as I touched on previously, that weight number is very powerful. Particularly to individuals who are extremely sensitive about their weight. This noted, how do we temper this "power" so we do not become upset when our weekly loss seems insignificant? In my opinion, it takes a lot of inner strength to accept that because our bodies are different from each other, each one of us will post significantly different losses each week. Acceptance of our own body's chemistry, and its impact on our weight loss, can help ease our anxiety when we do not shed the weight as quickly as we want.

We need to work very hard to dismantle the negative power these weight numbers have. And this is difficult. Among other things, it requires patience, a long-term vision, being gentle with ourselves, and keeping a positive outlook towards the future. I try to see a mere 1 or 2 lb. weekly loss as a "victory." Something to be celebrated. One step closer to my goal. Yes, this is hard. But I know I must work with my body, not against it. I will reach my goal weight in due course.

I'm the first to admit that I still mistrust scales, even though I have been  facing one for 6 weeks. But like them or not, they are a part of my program. Perhaps I will be able to draw up a "peace pact" with them soon. I posted this possibility a few weeks ago on Optifast's Facebook page, but I've yet to bury the hatchet. However, let's get honest: Deep down, I am the one handing over the power to the scale. I need to take this power back.

For now, it is a work in progress. And acceptance may be the key to the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment