Friday, September 14, 2012

The Final Push, Part II

As I continue to reflect on this last leg of my full fast program, I find myself tonight feeling very nervous about maintenance. Reaching my goal weight means I will be looking at maintenance squarely in the face, and although the clinic will have me well-prepared to navigate through it, I know it will be challenging for awhile. Old habits die hard -- gone must be my former eating routine of no breakfast, no lunch, no snack and just gorging at night with a huge dinner portion and grazing for the rest of the evening. That must be replaced with healthy, balanced meals eaten throughout the day. Can I do this? Will I fail and revert back to what I know? Will I get complacent, lazy and cave?

I think what's going on here is I am going to actually miss the full fast Phase 1. It couldn't be easier! There's so much safety in it. No thinking is required. Sure, willpower comes into play, and dedication and commitment, but I've dug deep and found that. It's second nature now. I like my shakes and soups and I'm afraid to give them up. In short, I'm happy with the way things are going right now. I don't want anything to change.

So in a way, I'm actually clinging to these final months, fearful of them slipping away, wanting to treasure every day I'm on product. I never thought I would say something like this. There's some humor in that, I guess, but maybe the darker kind. I have just always been someone who doesn't like change. And here it is, and I must deal with it. Just acknowledging that I have a fear of change is a good thing. Acceptance is half the battle. And I think I'm in a good place because I know it's coming soon (relatively speaking) and I've got the clinic educating me with tips for handling it.

I think I really need to work on embracing my "letting go" philosophy in these months to come. Letting go off my fears. Letting go of bad habits. Letting go of the anxiety that comes from jumping into future thinking. Just live in the "now" and where I am today: On product, still losing weight, getting compliments galore, feeling great. That's the best thing to do. Onward we go!  

3 comments:

  1. Hey Melissa,

    I think you are already starting to embrace the letting go by being honest about where you're at and how you feel about going back to the food. I have the same fears, but I'm looking them square in the face and recognizing them instead of pretending it will just magically work out. There is definitely safety in those shakes and I actually enjoy the taste of them (of course by doctoring them up with allowable add-ins). But when I go back to food, I don't want to rely on these shakes any longer. Now you and I are both doing the footwork to make that happen. I'm so thrilled for you for having the wiillingness to face the unknown with such courage. Gives me courage too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember how terrifying it was for me as I headed toward the maintenance phase, but I hope you know that once you reach your goal weight, you don't have to be done at CONCI. They are more than happy to assist you in whatever way you feel is best for YOU. If you want to continue going in there weekly, then do it. If you want to go in once a month, go! Even after all this time since I reached my goal weight back in 2010, I still continue to go in weekly for accountability if nothing else. There's really something to reporting in to someone every so often (weekly, monthly, whatever) that makes a person's experience in maintenance so successful.

    Also, at the East office (I don't know about the other offices), there is a maintenance support group that meets monthly. It's a great way for those who are maintaining their weight to stay on track!

    I just wanted to assure you that they never kick you out of the nest once you reach your goal weight.

    Good luck to you in the next leg of your journey!

    ReplyDelete