Sunday, September 9, 2012

Doing It On Your Own: More Thoughts

Woke up this morning thinking about my post yesterday, and thought I should expand a bit on my thinking as it pertains to going solo on the Optifast program. I want to underscore that my post was not directed to those currently on Optifast VLCD -- rather those who are making Optifast product purchases through ebay and Amazon, with no direction on how to use the products and in most cases no medical oversight whatsoever. I want to clarify that these are only my views, and I am one who strongly believes in doctors and doing things by "the book" versus the Internet. Keep in mind my age -- I'm 46 -- as that has a lot to do with this.

Seriously, I know the frustration many must feel knowing that they cannot afford or cannot obtain through local or proper channels this supposed "miracle" product that guarantees significant weight loss in a relatively short period of time. It sounds like a dream come true -- the chance to undo years of pain, embarrassment and frustration simply by drinking some shakes and soups, and eating some bars for a few months. The pictures of the results people have from doing the program are almost unbelievable, and certainly make us cry out, "I want that too!" All I need to do is get my hands on that stuff and I can look like that too, we reason, and then set about making that happen.

I cannot stress to you enough that my negative views on Optifast product purchases through ebay and Amazon are only driven by three things: First and foremost, a deep concern for your health and well-being. Second, a concern that you will be wasting a significant amount of money on something that will not work because you don't know how to use it properly. And third, it's very well-documented that the vast majority of people who do liquid diets gain their weight -- and then some -- right back when they stop the diet. Without access to a support group and/or a nutritionist or dietitian when you go into maintenance, you are facing some very strong odds of gaining everything back. And nobody wants that.

I know that many, many people will continue to buy Optifast as long as it is available on ebay and Amazon. Even if Optifast doesn't condone it, even if the products are expired, even if there are risks, even if the seller doesn't give one iota whether you get sick or not. I also know that the desire to be thin drives many of us to go to extremes to make that happen, at whatever cost. Obese people can and have been judged harshly in society, treated as "less-than," ridiculed, and not taken seriously. The pain we carry inside is reflected on the outside. There for everyone to see. It's horrible. And we want it to stop. Optifast will save us, we think. Make us "normal." Like everyone else. Happy. Free.

Believe me, I know how fortunate I am to live in a city with clinics that offer the Optifast program and to have the resources to afford the program. And my heart aches for those who do not. I also know that it's highly unlikely I will sway the decision of someone currently ordering, or about to order, the Optifast products through ebay or Amazon. That choice is up to you. I just felt compelled to share my thoughts on the matter. I will try to pipe down on the topic from this point forward. As we say in our family, "Enough said."


No comments:

Post a Comment