Friday, September 7, 2012

Doing It On Your Own: Some Strong Words Of Caution

Buyer beware!
As you've heard, Optifast is an expensive program. In the United States, the products are to only be distributed through approved clinics, which require lab work and doctor visits, in addition to the product purchases. In short, the costs add up. Now, with the Australian Optifast Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD), the products are a little cheaper and are obtained at a pharmacy. Doctor visits are not required. They are strongly encouraged, however, as the Optifast products affect your body chemistry and several concerning side effects can occur. Importantly, the Australian Optifast VLCD products come with directions for use. So you are not "flying blind" if you obtain your products from this country.

But sadly, two options have arisen for individuals who choose not to follow these two product distribution routes. Although not condoned by Optifast, their products can be obtained through ebay and Amazon. I do not know how this is legal, but I do know people are getting them. No directions are included. No program structure is provided. Basically, a bunch of boxes show up at your doorstep. Risky? In my strong opinion, heck yes!

Optifast is not like Slimfast or other dietary products available at the grocery store. It greatly reduces your calorie intake and as I mentioned, can dramatically impact your physical health. Potassium and sodium levels can be affected. Gallbladder sludge can form. Your blood pressure may be affected, cramping can result, dehydration could be an issue. These are serious concerns that must be taken into consideration. We must also not forget that in the past, people have died from liquid diets. This is serious business.

Now, you might be thinking, "It's no big deal. I'll just go into a chatroom on the Internet and get the answers to all of my medical questions." Let's think about this for a minute. What kind of people are in these chatrooms? Medical professionals? Of course not. Conflicting information can abound. This is not to say I don't advocate utilizing places like the Optifast Chat Support group on Facebook for connecting with people also doing the program. But to go there and ask for medical guidance is pointless. You should be in the hands of a professional.

If all you have is a bunch of boxes and no guidelines, how in the heck are you going to know if you are using them correctly and weight loss will occur? Optifast is not something to "stop and start" at will. It won't work if you approach it this way, and you will end up wasting your money. If you side-step the financial outlay at a clinic by going to ebay and Amazon, you could very well end up wasting the money you thought you could save. So if money is an issue for you, keep this in mind.

Yes, we all want to lose weight, and when we hear that there are products out there that can guarantee weight loss in a relatively short period of time, that is most appealing. It's almost irresistible. But blindly starting the Optifast program without medical oversight or, at the very least, program-approved guidance is in my opinion foolhardy and unwise. You are opening a Pandora's Box of possible trouble and placing yourself at risk. Is it worth it? Do you have to lose weight at this cost? Winging it on your own is nothing but trouble. Do you really want to court that?

I strongly encourage those considering buying Optifast products through Amazon or ebay to think this through completely. Personally, I would never do it. My health -- my life -- is too precious to put in possible danger. No matter how I might ultimately look. What you decide is ultimately up to you. But in my view, this is definitely a situation of buyer beware.



2 comments:

  1. As you know, I couldn't agree more. I am so grateful I have had medical supervision through this because issues have come up that I could not have handled myself given medicine is not my profession. I can understand why people are inclined to go in the direction of ebay and amazon because of the cost difference, but it is done so with considerable risk. I'm so relieved that I have clinic support, including the weekly group meetings. That has been invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you because without having medical supervision I would've never known that I had issues with my liver and that I have gallstones! And I wouldn't have known that being on a VLCD and having gallstones is not a good mix, that's why I had to change product.

    ReplyDelete