Thursday, May 2, 2013

Imperfect Progress

A cheerful "Good Morning!" to everyone. The Spring sun has been shining down the past few days and I just noticed the birds are singing too. Beautiful, colorful tulips have emerged all over my neighborhood. It's funny how I can get so wrapped up in my frustrations that I forget to acknowledge these wonderful things that are happening all around me. You know I've had my struggles this week, and that can "cloud" my enjoyment of where I am right now in my life. Which is in a very, very good place.

Millie talks to me about "imperfect progress" -- in my case, allowing myself to make "mistakes" (my word, not hers) in this new maintenance journey of mine. There are good days and bad days, the scale goes up and goes down, potholes are encountered, "battles" are won, lost, declared a truce. Just like being on a full "Optifast," 100% compliance is, arguably, completely unobtainable. And most importantly of all, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Each and every day, I am learning more about maintaining my healthy weight. By tracking my weight day by day, I see there is an established fluctuation range between a low of 156 lbs. and a high of 161 lbs. This is like clockwork for me. It has not changed since I started transition in January. So the certainty that I prefer is indeed in place. My Facebook friends are giving me solid advice for managing my scale abhorrence, and I am getting more comfortable with the idea of weighing once a week.

My exercise routine is getting a boost by the nicer weather, my husband's renewed interest and prodding, and the promise of a hiking trip to Yosemite National Park in California in July. Kathy at our clinic keeps me motivated and is giving me wonderful tips and information. Her constant reinforcement that physical "activity" (I like that word better than "exercise" for some reason) is a cornerstone for weight management has sunk in and I know what I need to do. I also want to give a little "hat tip" to my Facebook friend Martha out in Arizona. She's a true inspiration. Head on over to her blog "Optifast Mom" (link to it on the right side of this page) to see her story.

And finally, my therapist Phil, Millie, my readings, and my Facebook friends (plus of course this blog) help me process my emotions that accompany this "new me." I've got all the supports in place. If I step back a bit, and take a good, hard look at myself, I can see that I'm doing this! Not perfectly, it didn't happen overnight, I have good days and bad days, I learn more day by day. I'm maintaining. And this is what it's all about.

I want to give a big electronic hug and say "Thank You!" to each and every person who is helping me get through this thing called "life." Your support is invaluable. Now, let's get out there today, smell the flowers, and enjoy all the wonderful things happening in our own little neighborhoods! Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment