Monday, May 27, 2013

"Damage" Control

The culprit: SALT
Good evening all. It is Monday evening, signaling the end of Memorial Day weekend. I enjoyed myself these past days -- maybe just a little too much. Although I did my 2 mile walking every day and kept to my healthy eating routine for breakfast and lunch, I did not fold in my snacks, in anticipation of really letting loose at dinner. I've been told not to do this, and that it would likely lead to overindulgence. And folks, it did.

I had big dinners and some desserts and the inevitable happened: Last night I weighed in at 163 -- I haven't seen a number that high since my New York trip in February. It had dropped down to 159 lbs. by this morning, but the emotional impact from the scale was already set. I panicked -- I am still panicked -- and I suddenly realize that my anxiety over gaining my weight back hasn't gone anywhere. It was just laying dormant. I had hoped to be free of it, but alas, that is not the case.

But I will not let this immobilize me. I am going to try to pull myself out of this.

As I said in my last post, extra sodium makes my body retain water. I have seen from my weight chart over time that I am very sensitive to salt. It takes about 3-5 days for my body to shed the water weight, that is if I stay on my healthy eating routine. I also know, deep down, that there is no way I ate enough to pack on real pounds this weekend. I would have to be eating in excess of 3,000 calories a day -- and that was not the case. By Friday I will be stabilized and feeling much, much better. I can handle this.

But I really need to remind myself that it's back on my normal eating plan tomorrow. Back to my oatmeal; turkey and swiss pita sandwich, cottage cheese and V8; apple and cheese stick; protein + veggie/grain side dish; and Fiber One/yogurt/berries/almonds/dark chocolate "treat." It's repetitive, you might think it's boring (I don't), but it keeps me in check and comfortable. My daily 2-mile "streak" is a necessity -- but I actually look forward to it. This "plan" keeps me comfortable and relaxed. This plan brings my weight back to the healthy range where I want to be.

I also have my weigh-in at the clinic on Wednesday. Part of me is dreading it but part of me wants to see where I stand -- to have it down "on paper" in my file. Last week I came in at 157 lbs. but this week it will be higher. And I will not fall apart. This is maintenance 101, I am learning. Slowly, step by step, I am getting a handle on things. And I'm proud of myself. The holiday weekend is over. Forward I now go!


No comments:

Post a Comment